This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do "No soliciting" signs work?

We get a lot of door-to-door people at our house. It's gotten to where we get 3-5 a week. I want to put up a "no soliciting" sign but I read on another forum that many d-t-d marketer train their employees that such a sign simply means that the homeowner has trouble saying no. Is this true?

I realize that the sign won't get rid of all soliciting, but I'm hoping it will at least cut down. I have no problem saying "no" I'm just tired of repeating myself.

What are your experiences?
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

They mean nothing. Just like the no trespassing signs mean nothing. The path to your door is for access.
    "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

One of my best friends has a sign on her door stating something like this:

"If you are asking about Religion, we have already found it."
      "If you are selling things, we are already happy with our lives."
      "If you are surveying us, our opinions don't matter."
      "If you are with a political party, we vote the other way."

"So please don't bother knocking, because those are the responses you will get."

Technically it's partially right-my friend was raised Catholic, they're fairly isolated so they don't need the door-to-door stuff, surveying is fairly rare and politicians-ditto.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Current crime prevention advice from the UK.

Don't bother with chains on the door, fit a spyhole instead. You DO NOT have to open the door to anyone who is peddling their wares (be they material, religious or political), so don't. These people are usually pretty obvious by the simple fact you don't recognise them and those you do need to open the door to will normally be in a recognisable uniform.

Hope that helps
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I'll second the spyhole / peep hole.

Also, is the same company? All you need to do is tell the person ONCE that you do not want to be contacted by their company. Any further attempts could be considered harassment.

We had an issue with some people trying to recruit us to their church. We tried being polite and it didn't work. Finally we told them that they were harassing us and next time they knocked on our door we'd call the police.

They tried to throw the "freedom of religion" right in our faces with that and we just told them that the freedom goes both ways.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I had a great one with the religious people this morning, opened the door to find a very little boy and presumably his mother, mother was at the gate saying to him, "don't be shy, go on", little boy said to me "leaflet for lady", then turned and ran back to mother, both were giggling.I said thank you and had to laugh as I shut the door.

Non intrusive to me, and acheived what they wanted and without any irritation.
            Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

At one of my last jobs, there were "no soliciting" signs all over the place. All of which were merrily ignored. The only thing that did work...was to send the idiots down to the building owner's office (400, IIRC). He'd listen to their little spiel, and then promptly toss them from the building...with a stern warning that if they returned, he'd have them arrested for trespassing.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My mom once told me that when my parents first got married they lived in an apartment complex and one of their neighbors there had a sign that read:

Every third solicitor will be shot.
                The second one just left.

I wonder if their neighbor had any issues after putting that sign up. I've only had one issue with a solicitor here. After that incident I learned that they're not supposed to be on apartment property. Explains why I never really have issues with them. But once I get a house I can see myself getting a sign to hangup on the door.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                  They tried to throw the "freedom of religion" right in our faces with that and we just told them that the freedom goes both ways.
                  Also, freedom of religion refers to government interference.

Also, private property.

Maybe it's just that New Jersey doesn't have as high a concentration of Evangelicals as other areas, but I can remember only once when I had people selling religion at my door. I think they were Jehova's Witnesses, I told them I already had a church (technically true, even if I had stopped going by then; I hadn't been removed from the member's list yet ), they said OK, and moved on.
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

And now back to the OP:

For the most part: NO!!!!...I had a job d2d selling and those signs were warnings of an easy mark. Try a 'Day Sleeper' sign.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I haven't had that many people come to the door that I felt the need to put up a sign. But if I ever did, and they chose to ignore it, I wouldn't say a word. I'd just point to the sign and close the door on them.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      Also, freedom of religion refers to government interference.

Also, private property.
                      Exactly. Their right to free speech ends at my front door.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                        One of my best friends has a sign on her door stating something like this:

"If you are asking about Religion, we have already found it."
                        "If you are selling things, we are already happy with our lives."
                        "If you are surveying us, our opinions don't matter."
                        "If you are with a political party, we vote the other way."

"So please don't bother knocking, because those are the responses you will get."
                        Oooohh, I like this.

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                        And now back to the OP:

For the most part: NO!!!!...I had a job d2d selling and those signs were warnings of an easy mark. Try a 'Day Sleeper' sign.

I think we got less people knocking on our door after we put one up at the old place. It could also have been my yelling at them when they did, because they invariably woke me up while I was sleeping for my night shift.

The ones that always got to me were the fuckers from the meat company that came by every other month and always insisted that "We're not selling anything..." The last one that showed up at my door got me staring at him deadpan while I "dialed" my cellphone and called the police to report him for trespassing. He left pretty quickly but we moved before I had a chance to see if it was going to be a permanent retreat.

Honestly, I should have gone ahead and called for real. They had been warned time and again to keep away, but I needed more sleep for that night, and nobody else was home to talk to the cops.

Eric the Grey
                        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

My "friend" is an award winning door to door sales person, she literally comes top in her company quater after quater.
                          She has told me that "no soliciting signs" usually mean the people in the house have are actually more likely to be conned...err...convinced about buying something so she targets those houses more. She always pretends not to see the sign.

She said the best way to get rid of her is to just not answer. She can argue the hind leg of a donkey so even if you open the door to tell her to go away she takes that more as a challenge and will not let up. She can't argue to no one. Just don't answer the door.
                          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I used to have one on my door that said "Do Not Disturb. Insominac trying to sleep." It worked fairly decently. Matter of fact I had friends that were standing on my porch one night for about 10 minutes trying to figure out if they should knock or not.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                              She said the best way to get rid of her is to just not answer. She can argue the hind leg of a donkey so even if you open the door to tell her to go away she takes that more as a challenge and will not let up. She can't argue to no one. Just don't answer the door.
                              And if I tell her to get off of my property and she refuses - that's criminal trespassing.
                              Quote Dalesys:
                              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                              X