This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Magpie View Post
    Yeah, I don't think they give you those just for a broken foot bone. One of the profs in chem (actual chem, not chem eng) has those, but they're more "if he didn't have them he wouldn't be upright" type things, for several years. (See, I can be upright without the crutches. Mobile even. I just think I'm not supposed to hop around like that.)

And these definitely aren't Canadian crutches. Don't know where they're made, but they're designed for an American market. The nurse asked me my height. Now, after 6 hours at the hospital, doing partial differential equations, I'm a little bit out of it. I was very proud of myself for remembering my height in under 30 seconds. Then I find out she wanted it in feet and inches. (I remembered that right afterwards, but honestly. I'm in PAIN here, you do the math if it matters so much).
    LOL they are called Canadian because they were invented in Canada or something like that. Though they are use world wide =) It is just that the axillary [armpit] crutches are the most commonly used because they are so cheap to make. The canadians are actually better because they won't damage your armpits [almost every person I have seen with axillaries rests their armpits on them and sort of 'hangs' when they are not actually walking. Bad move ... ] and are ergonomically better. My folders actually have semi custom molded hand grips. [And they are *purple* squee. I think I am going to see if I can get my next chair in a matching purple ]

The web pages are probably in american because im american =) I can find you canadian websites, or european websites if you want ...
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

American doctors seem to only recommend Canadian crutches (also called Lofstrands, after the most well-known maker, or forearm crutches) for stability aids for people with long-term disabilities, like Magpie's professor. For temporary things like broken legs, they tend to use axillary crutches. Given how much better forearm crutches are, it's got to be purely a cost issue, like AD said. It does seem to be an American (and apparently Canadian) thing--elsewhere in the world, forearm crutches are standard for anyone who needs crutches for any reason.

I used forearm crutches (shiny red ones!) after breaking my femur a few years ago. The injury happened in South Africa, where that's the normal thing to do. The American orthopod and physical therapist I saw once getting home were rather surprised I had been using them even when totally non-weight-bearing. But it was easy--never any arm or hand pain at all.

Of course, the pain from the actual break and the surgical repair were plenty bad. Displaced comminuted femur fractures *hurt*.

-K'Z'K
      Last edited by K'Z'K; 03-29-2010, 02:27 AM.
      "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong."
      -Edward O. Wilson

Comment

Crud on a stick, just checked google shopping, and axillary crutches and forearm crutches are about the same in cost. Red Dot Axillary crutches are $31, and drive medical forearm crutches in pretty colors are $38. I am sure that a hospital buying in bulk would get a heck of a better price than randomly online.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

.. They're the same cost? Bah, that's so unfair! I didn't even know they were appropriate for temporary use (I always thought they were just for stability, didn't know you could swing on them). I want ones that are easy to use properly!

On the up side, I have managed to get my upper body strength to a level that I would venture to say I have never before reached, even while working at the doughnut place. And I can swing along at a nice clip.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
            .. They're the same cost? Bah, that's so unfair! I didn't even know they were appropriate for temporary use (I always thought they were just for stability, didn't know you could swing on them). I want ones that are easy to use properly!

On the up side, I have managed to get my upper body strength to a level that I would venture to say I have never before reached, even while working at the doughnut place. And I can swing along at a nice clip.
            Pretty much the same cost ... just like I have a pretty dark blue cane, cost just the same as the generic aluminum one, but prettier.

There is a lot of good stuff out there but most people never hear about it because they don't need it [generally] and when they do need it, they don't know it exists and so they don't get it to use. There is a lot of adaptability stuff out there to make life easier, but unless you know a gimp you will never think to look for it online or in medical supply stores =)

Comment

Working...
            X