X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costuming is fun...

Well to be more precise, re-enactment gear is fun :P

So I unofficially became a member of NVG. In short, I'm allowed to help out with living history displays and such, but I am not able to do full combat. Main issue there is lack of funds and time to make the weaponry.

Today I learnt how to make my own shoes, my tunic and my apron. Yes, we went with the full Viking gear....although there were a few issues concerning linen and such....I was holding out for anything BUT white, but we were forced to resort to white after I discovered that the stuff my boyfriend had was either unsuitable for a tunic full stop, or there wasn't enough (he had some buff coloured fabric that would've been PERFECT).

The shoes were the most frustrating part...as I was double-stitching them, I wound up breaking a grand total of FOUR NEEDLES while threading the sinew through (we used artificial sinew). We also hadissues putting the damn thing TOGETHER....but we got there in the end.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

how fun, have you discovered Thora's webpage?

And I can recommend Norse Mythology according to Uncle Einar

[wish I could find a picture of them, but my hubby carved a pair of broaches for a friend of mine in the form of birds with little dangly feet based on a silver broach found in a dig, they ;looked great holding her apron to the straps =)]
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Thanks for the links.

I basically spent about 11.5 hours at the house where the workshop was being held. This was broken down into tunic pattern making, cutting and pinning. And I also need to learn how to sew.

Thankfully I now have a role for the living history displays at the medieval fair. One of the ladies does "nail binding" (I think tha's what it's called) and she's going to teach me. so in short, she's playing my "mother" even though we look nothing alike

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
        Thanks for the links.

I basically spent about 11.5 hours at the house where the workshop was being held. This was broken down into tunic pattern making, cutting and pinning. And I also need to learn how to sew.

Thankfully I now have a role for the living history displays at the medieval fair. One of the ladies does "nail binding" (I think tha's what it's called) and she's going to teach me. so in short, she's playing my "mother" even though we look nothing alike
        nalbinding, a precurser sort of to knitting =)

Sorry, I am just a font of pre 1600 arts n crafts ... There is a reason I want to get back into university and get a degree as an archeologist

i can also recommend lucet cordmaking as an allied craft [lacemaking to tie stuff together] and also tablet weaving.

I am one of the wierdos that you can give a sheep to, and come back to find dinner on cooking, and eventually out of the dearly departed find a batch of soap, a tanned hide, and the wool being processed into clothing ... I can drop spin, make soap from the tail fat and ash from cooking, scour and prepare the wool for spinning, process a clay mass from being dug out of the clay bank through firing it into a pot to use in the whole food and cloth making process, how to make a warp weighted loom for weaving [or a back strap loom if I am not feeling like making a huge piece of fabric] what plants make different color dyes, including how to process woad using rotted urine [and trust me, do it a good distance from the house the stench is amazing] and turn the fabric into clothing I have several thousand hours of research and technique learning in being pre roman Celt from the border region [between the walls, I am not one of those barbarian Pictoi ...] another 800 or so hours in Alexandrian Imperial era Roman, and another few thousand in steppes nomad [shu nu shi] and a few hundred hours in researching elizabethan clothing, mainly because I used to make it to sell and we wanted authentic. [I had been a recreationist since 1978 way too long for my own good. On the plus side, I could fall through a wormhole into the past and once I learned the language get along just fine. And random power outages don't bother me, I can pee behind a shrub in my pasture just fine ... I bought my current wood stove with an eye to using it for cooking ]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

AD, the group I'm with does do tablet weaving which I also want to learn at one point or another.

And the guys I bought all the fabric off of had enough leather from two cows :P

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
            AD, the group I'm with does do tablet weaving which I also want to learn at one point or another.

And the guys I bought all the fabric off of had enough leather from two cows :P
            You can never have enough fabric [or leather or yarn]

I used to buy seed pearls not by the strand but by the tupperware container *sigh* and I still have about 2 cups of assorted ones [mainly white and cream but I see a few peacock, pink, lavender and black ones] and I have about 10 meters of bullion. I might actually make the coronation gown of king roger Oddly enough, it looks harder than it actually is, bullionwork is like beading with bugle beads [more or less]

Comment

I still have most of a kilogram of white seed beads from back when I made my belt. I gave away the bead loom... I should see if the woman who got it would like some white seed beads. Actually I gave it away to the CWL sale. A friend saw it during setup and did the volunteer grab on it, provided I could help her if needed.

Comment

so, who here is addicted to fire mountain beads?

I just ordered this forget me not pendant!

Comment

Working...
                X