This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amusing way to start the day.

So this weekend I have off, but I am working on a project for work, updating our rum list. It's been more of a project than I expected, but I am almost done with it.

Anyways, I was working on it on my computer this morning when there came a knock on my door. I answered it, and there was a U.S. Census worker. Cool. I wanted to do the census. So I stand there in the doorway answering his questions as he fills out the form.

But I started to be amused pretty quickly. First I had to deal with the utterly distracting blonde in a bikini at the pool that I spied over the shoulder of the census taker. I love having a pool view. I really, really do.

But then, as I tried to focus more on the gentleman at my door, the only thing I could think of was Dr. Lecter's famous comment: "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

And yes, I am certain I had a bottle of chianti on my wine rack. No fava beans, though. Fortunately for the poor unsuspecting census worker.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

If I was ogling some hot blonde in a bikini, the last thing I'd be thinking about eating would be a census taker's liver and some fava beans......

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
      If I was ogling some hot blonde in a bikini, the last thing I'd be thinking about eating would be a census taker's liver and some fava beans......

Mike
      QFT

Actually, I didn't think they actually went door to door any more. We got ours in the mail and even though it's all filled out, the questions ask about residents in the place as of April 1. I guess I need to wait and make sure nothing changes...

Eric the Grey
      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
        the questions ask about residents in the place as of April 1. I guess I need to wait and make sure nothing changes...

Eric the Grey
        Heh, my roommate filled ours out the other night. She asked me if I was planning to still live here on April 1. Seeing as how our lease goes through November, I'm pretty sure I'll still be here next week.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Actually, I didn't think they actually went door to door any more.
          My mom said about the same thing. She and my stepdad filled theirs out and mailed it in a while back. I can think of a few reasons why they may do some door to door like this:

--Key West is a transient place, and a lot of people's addresses change frequently, so they may want to do it door to door in places like this.

--I live in an apartment complex. I rent, I don't own. As do everyone else who lives here. Maybe the government view renters as less stable residentially than homeowners.

--Maybe they are just adding a layer of surveying.

Frankly, I have no idea.

...the questions ask about residents in the place as of April 1. I guess I need to wait and make sure nothing changes...
          The census taker at my door didn't have a great command of English, and so he asked if everyone "had" lived there as of April 1. I found that rather amusing.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
          X