This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass players

In continuation of the "best guitarist" thread, I've decided to start one about who people think are the best bass players.

I'm sure this one will be hard since bass players aren't usually the ones in the limelight, up front getting all the attention but there are some who are great.

My list:

Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) - not only is he a great bass player, his energy never quits. Is there such a thing as a speed-bassist?

Peter Cetera (Chicago) - while I don't like his attitude I do admit his bass plating abilities were phenomenal, especially in Chicago's early days. His contributions to the band as a bass player really helped round out the band's great sound in the early days.

John Deacon (Queen)- IMO one of the most talented bass players. Early on he was out there, I would even say he was one of the earliest performers to actually bring the bass player to the front. Not only did he have some great bass solos (Liar, Breakthru) many of his rifs could be considered either on the same level as the guitar and piano (Death on Two Legs) but sometimes even the "lead" in the bad. IMO he (and Queen) came at the right time to help bring bass players to the "front" of the band as opposed to just a rhythmic and harmony addition.

Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads) - funny how someone who didn't even know how to play the instrument at the beginning of their career is on my list. While Queen started to bring the bass to the front, Tina made it look like it should be that way. The Talking Heads more than exploited the sound of the bass making it a staple as the band moreso than Queen did with Deacon.

People who I'll hear "should" be on the list but I didn't include:

Paul McCartney (Beatles)- Yes, he was one of the Beatles. Yes, he was a bass player, but I really haven't heard anything from him that manes me shout out "WOW!" as a bass player. Don't get me wrong - his vocal and songwriting to the music industry over the past 40+ years are priceless.

Sting (The Police) - Same as McCartney. I haven't heard any Police songs that make me jump out of my seat over the bass lines.

Thoughts? Contributions?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Victor Wooten (solo, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones) jazz bluegrass

Laura Love (solo, Laura Love Band) afro-celtic
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

1) Geddy Lee. A great musician in his own right, but in concert he has to do play bass, sing, keyboards, trigger sound effects and more.

2) Cliff Burton.

3) Les Claypool.
      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

What about the man who's driving bass is what pushes every one of their songs along, Lemmy of Motorhead
        "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
        set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

Well I dont know THAT much about bassists but I think Ryan Martinie should be noted here for his crazy yet very preccise playing. His slap and pop is also very noted in the song "Dig". while not a big fan of Mudvayne (his band) He is the main reason I listen to it.

Comment

Timothy B. Schmit of the Eagles .....besides playing bass he can write and sing as well. Besides working with the Eagles he's done tons of session work for the Beach boys, Steely Dan and a lot of other people, and road work as well. Plus he's put out 5 albums of his own.

I like Flea also he's just got something different
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Three of my favorite bass players:

Geddy Lee

Stuart Hamm

Billy Shehan

Comment

I really don't pay that muvh attention to music in general, but my favorite bass player is my brother.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Adam Clayton, from U2, is my favorite.
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                  X