This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "IRS" phishing emails..

I've been receiving some emails claiming to be from the IRS.

The email claims I've had "un reported" income and I need to click on a link to get it corrected.

Of course I looked at the link and the address ends in a .com.pl - unless the IRS packed up and moved to Poland, I don't think it is legit.

(BTW - the beginning of the address is www.irs.gov but then it continues with their domain and then .com.pl meaning www.irs.gov is just a subdomain.

I've forwarded the email to fraud@irs.gov and abuse@irs gov
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Tis' the season, isn't it? They must be getting tired of the Nigerian or PayPal scams and found something else to try.

While I've not had any emails of that nature to show up so far in my mailboxes, I'll keep an eye out.

Would this affect persons who filed their taxes online or just anyone at random?
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

They must be international scammers, we get them here from our tax authorities and from banks and of course when you look, it is never the correct email address, in any case, i am sure that any bank or tax authority would only ever contact people by snail mail letter, not by email.

Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Or by phone.

I just got three more overnight - all have been sent to the above mentioned email address.
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Yes, please don't respond to those. We (the IRS) never initiate contact by email. Course if you contact us first then we might, but you must specifically ask to be contacted by email.
          "I try to take reality one day at time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Would this affect persons who filed their taxes online or just anyone at random?
            It's probably random. If it was targeted I'd be concerned about the security of how you fill it online.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

It appears to be just random, I get them even though I don't bank or do my taxes online, i even get them from banks I don't bank with.
              Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

My take is random. I've gotten my share of them. The address to forward them is, in fact: phishing@irs.gov
                I know they're bogus because:
                1) The grammer is atrocious (an English teacher's spawn can easily spot that)
                2) The IRS contacts only by paper mail when there is a problen and they have standard form notices.
                3) I don't use or condone shenanigans that would trigger them in the first place

Here is their own take on phishing and identity theft.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  Random or spam lists. I Never gave this email address to the IRS and it is one that's been getting all the "UPS / DHL tracking number" scams, Facebook password reset scams, and so on.
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth Rosakala View Post
                    Yes, please don't respond to those. We (the IRS) never initiate contact by email. Course if you contact us first then we might, but you must specifically ask to be contacted by email.
                    First, let me say I apologize for the human race. I'm sure a lot of us are a bunch of douchewaffles.

Second (and on topic); I've been doing my taxes via TurboTax for YEARS now. NEVER has the IRS asked for my email address. So yeah, they wouldn't have it. Major scam-a-rino!
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I get a lot of the IRS scam mail.

It's funny to me as I don't live in the US.

Silly Vlads.

B
                      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Rosakala View Post
                        Good information worth repeating.
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                          First, let me say I apologize for the human race. I'm sure a lot of us are a bunch of douchewaffles.

Second (and on topic); I've been doing my taxes via TurboTax for YEARS now. NEVER has the IRS asked for my email address. So yeah, they wouldn't have it. Major scam-a-rino!

I just started working there this season. So far I've yet to run into any really mean people. Dumb ones yes, plenty of those. Like the guy who wanted to know if he could claim his girfriend as his dependent on his joint tax return with his wife.
                          "I try to take reality one day at time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

Comment

I've been getting a few of the tax scams, but addressed to my Grandfather who died in the mid 80's I think (too young to remember) so I'm pretty sure he never used much less heard of email.

Although I did just get one from 'my beloved' a Jane something, who's Barrister Richard Morgan is now operating in Thailand (I'm pretty sure it's the same name they use in the nigerian scams) while she's in haiti helping them fix their economy and she left a check for me with him.
                            It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Quoth Rosakala View Post
                              Dumb ones yes, plenty of those. Like the guy who wanted to know if he could claim his girfriend as his dependent on his joint tax return with his wife.
                              I had one who asked seriously (or at least with a straight face) about deducting his mistress's cosmetic surgery. My reply was not to his liking, needless to say.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X