This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Who in old games

Was (and still am, love gog.com) playing a game called "Beneath a Steel Sky" and just had to giggle at Joey (the robot) impression of a Dalek. Anyone else notice in the old games various references to pop culture?

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
    You can talk to an NPC named Shortround in.. Yew, I believe it was? If you typed "job" he'd claim to work for a "Mr. Jones." "I think Indy's on a quest!" There were various other NPCs here and there named after famous people.

Golden Sun
    After freeing a town from being turned into trees, mindreading one of the citizens nets you the thought, "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay... with that." (As a note, one of the production companies is called Camelot)

Strife: Quest for the Sigil
    Another Python reference: typing in the code for GodMode will have the phrase, "You're invincible!" flash on screen. Typing it again to disable it will give you, "You're a loony!" Spoiler: One of the companies that made the game was Rogue Entertainment, and when you finally meet your radio-to-radio partner face-to-face, she somewhat resembles Rogue from X-Men.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Along with the obvious Star Wars reference with Dr. Robotnik's Death Egg, I recall hearing that Sonic's "Super Sonic" transformation was based on Super Saiyan Goku from Dragonball Z.
    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Doctor who shows up in hugo 2 along with a dalek
      the robots in fallout may try to exterminate you except for the one that joins you named skynet.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Working...
      X