This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking events at work.

We had a meeting today. No biggie. We were there to do a deep cleaning, and also for a couple updates from management. No biggie.

Until Boss Man dropped a bombshell.

Boss Man, who is the managing partner of the company, has been acting as the general manager for the last couple of years, and frankly, we like him. Hell, I've said on here before that I would go through walls for my management, and I include him in this.

But apparently Boss Man and his wife, Owner's daughter, are going to be spending more time in [Northeastern City], and so Boss Man is stepping down as the GM, and he introduced the new GM. This shocked the hell out of me, although apparently some of my coworkers knew about it for a day or two. Now, Boss Man will still be very involved in the place, just not running shifts or doing stuff every day, especially on days his family is out of town in their home town.

This was shocking enough. But when the new GM (who is still going to be training for the next few weeks) did his introductory speech, it seemed to be nothing like the usual New Manager Speech. And then, another shock: after the meeting broke up and we started doing the major cleaning needed in the restaurant and bar, the new GM actually joined us and helped clean stuff.

While I am bummed about Boss Man moving on (or whatever he's doing), this was an eye-opener. I have never seen anything like it, and I've been working in the food industry since 1986, and gone through countless New Managers.

I am actually optimistic that this is not going to be the horror story that it otherwise could be.

This...is weird.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Wow! Managers clean?!

Good luck
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Awesome! Keep us updated.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Maybe they are secretly taping an episode of "Undercover Boss".
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

The Undercover Boss thing wouldn't work, considering anyone who has worked there for more than a little bit has met the Owner several times, and the new GM could not possibly be him, for age, ethnicity, and physical build reasons. The Owner may have a lot of businesses going, but as far as The Bar goes, it is not a huge operation, so it would be virtually impossible for him to go undercover.

Add to the fact that the new GM is well known around town to just about everyone, and that theory goes flying off the balcony and hits the street with a splat.

Amusingly, at my other job, where I do tableside magic once a week at another restaurant, we also got a new GM the week before. Two new bosses in two consecutive Wednesdays. Weird.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
          X