This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does this bother me?

It's the weekend, hooray! And it's a HOLIDAY Weekend! You know what that means! SAMPLES AT SAM'S CLUB! Good ham, good sausages, fantastic cranberry relish, and a guy offering samples of various wines with a valid ID.

But, see, I'm in Corpus Christi for the duration and since they only have one Sam's Club, that's the one I go to (No fair! Albuquerque has three!). The guy giving the samples refuses to give me one despite the fact that I'm 23. It's not a corporate thing, he says it's a personal decision.

I can understand that. But it still bothers me. Had no problems walking into any liquor store (aside from the initial death-glare because I still look like a kid) here. Nor did I have any problems testing wine in New Mexico. It's just this one guy.

And the wine I wanted to try is a Sam's Club exclusive and since Dad had eaten something sweet before he tried it he couldn't give me a review on it. *Shakes fist at Dad*

Guess this means I have to wait until we head back to New Mexico before I can try the bloody wine, despite being age-appropriate.

Just wanted to ask someone, anyone, why this bothers me so much.
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

I'd be annoyed, too. If you have valid ID, why is it up to his "personal decision" to not let you have a sample? That's ridiculous. I mean, it's a small thing but still..
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

What? Why wouldn't he give you wine? Ya had valid ID. Your legal age. The dude just being a dick?
      Military Spouse Support.
      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

It annoys you because you've waited all this time to be able to drink legally, and you are being prevented from doing so. I'd be annoyed too.

I would go to a manager and see if they can do something, if you're really interested in trying said wine. Or maybe wait until he's on break....

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

My license is an out-of-state license. I'm still a TN Resident and I guess the guy wasn't taught how to spot a fake license. He said he's rather not give me the wine than go to jail.

Second time I had run into him. I guess he's the only one that does wine-testing.

Sucks mold to me, since I wanted to try that German wine before being forced to buy it.

ETA: The wine testing is did by another company. They hire in the people doing the wines, the men and women that does the other foods are the regular staff members.
          Last edited by RetailWorkhorse; 04-03-2010, 01:07 AM. Reason: ETA

Comment

I guess I can understand his take on things. If he doesn't know how to spot a phony out-of-state license (and I figure that a number of people will have trouble with that) then he's better off safe than sorry.

Maybe you can find someone to convince him. If you see a police officer wandering around, corral him/her.

Sorry it's happening though.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Or just get your dad to get it, then have dad hand it to you. Problem solved. Your legal age, so your not breaking law.
              Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Well, the out of state license makes more sense, then...though Plaidman does have a point
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

One way to spot a fake license is to check for hologram/water mark(s) on them which can be visible depending on the angle you look at it in normal light and/or black light.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I'd complain to the manager about the employee's behavior.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                      Or just get your dad to get it, then have dad hand it to you. Problem solved. Your legal age, so your not breaking law.
                      Dad was standing right beside me.

Mom took the sip and promptly made a face.

Should'a had my camera.

As for spotting fake IDs....The guy works with LIQUOR what kinda company does he work for that he wasn't trained to spot a fake ID?!

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                        Mom took the sip and promptly made a face.
                        !
                        I've yet to meet a German wine I like (doesn't I will stop trying ) Yeah, if he was a booze-provider my trade, he should have been trained...I'd me annoyed as well.

Meh...actually....I would be annoyed now if I didn't carded, I'll be 32 in less than 2 months
                        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                          Not so fast, my friend.

If someone comes into my bar with their father, and orders a glass of wine, and I card them and decide that I cannot accept their ID for whatever reason (there are many valid reasons for such a decision), and then their father orders the wine and gives it to the person? No. Absolutely not. I have people try this, with people who don't have ID's. "What if I buy it?" No. If I have refused service to you, I cannot have you drinking alcohol I provide to your friend in my establishment, and in my presence.

I don't know if the sample provider was warranted in his decision. But if he was, the above recommended action would be an attempt to circumvent the law under which he did that and thus would be, despite your opinion, breaking the law.

I can expound on this further if needed.

Quoth kibbles View Post
                          I'd complain to the manager about the employee's behavior.
                          If the employee is trying to follow the alcohol laws, there is nothing to complain about. As alcohol providers, we are allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason. If we are uncomfortable with someone's ID, we are told it is better to err on the side of not serving them than on the side of possibly serving someone who is not of age or does not have a valid ID.

There is nothing in the OP that says the employee was doing anything sucky. Yes, it sucked that the poster could not get served despite being of legal age, but if the employee is uncomfortable with the poster's ID, he has every right, and some would even say the responsibility, to refuse service.

Yeah, it sucks. But that is sometimes part of life.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

In the case of selling restricted products, it's better to err on the side of caution. Doesn't matter if you are of age or not, most places do no ID=no sale. Or no VALID ID=no sale. The latter would apply in RW's case.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                              In the case of selling restricted products, it's better to err on the side of caution. Doesn't matter if you are of age or not, most places do no ID=no sale. Or no VALID ID=no sale. The latter would apply in RW's case.
                              It was a valid ID. The dude just didn't want to give it to him because he didnt understand what other ID's looked like.

Quoth Jester View Post
                              What he said in long post
                              I know. I do the same myself honestly. However alot of times I do look the other way, such as the times when we weren't allowed to take out of state ID. It wasn't state law, it was a corporate rule. So if some poor 30 year old had a Washington ID, which is like, ten minutes from me, I wasn't suppose to really sell to him. But I had sold to his 32 year old girlfriend who had a oregon ID. We also had a big ass book on what every license and other country ID's looked like. If a clerk is too lazy to bother to know other IDs, despite plenty of ways to train so, (At least in my company), then it isn't really fair. Life isn't fair I know. But life's been unfair to me enough to try not to spread it to others. I don't do it all the time sadily, so I'm being hypocrite by saying all the above. I'm really just rambling. I have no arugment, no defense.

I am the weakest link, goodbye.
                              Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Working...
                              X