This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I has a happy :D

Well, with everything bad that's happened, something nice happened.

I got a Sony Reader Touch edition.

I already have 6 books, 4 from Project Gutenburg and 2 I bought from Sony Reader Library.

Also, in the second pic is why I wanted the touch: That's my character sheet for a home-brew system I'm playing on Fridays. I can make annotations (but can't change the sheet until I get home) to keep up with Hp and Energy. Most importantly, I'm not lugging around my laptop.

Technically, it's ours. One of the books I bought was Sparkly Vampires 3: The Sparkling for my wife. The other I one I bought was Storm Front
    Attached Files
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Ooooohhhh, shiny new gadget! I really want an ereader, but it's sadly not going to be in my budget for awhile.

Also, I ed at the Sparkly Vampires title.

Comment

Congrats on the new gadget. I got my nook (BN's ereader) and I love. I never thought I could give up reading actually books. But I have read more in the last 2 nights then I have in months. It is just easier.

Have you noticed if it is easier on your eyes? I am wondering if it is just me or if happens to other people

May you have many happy hours of reading
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
        Congrats on the new gadget. I got my nook (BN's ereader) and I love. I never thought I could give up reading actually books. But I have read more in the last 2 nights then I have in months. It is just easier.

Have you noticed if it is easier on your eyes? I am wondering if it is just me or if happens to other people

May you have many happy hours of reading
        Yeah, the guy at Best Buy (take it for what it's worth) said that e-Ink is better on the eyes due to lack of backlighting. It's also clearer as you can up the font.

A few books I recommend (and can get for free): The Adventures of Don Quixote, The Art of War, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Quoth trailerparkmedic
        Also, Ied at the Sparkly Vampires title.
        Oh, believe me, I have one for all of them:
        Sparkly Vampires
        Sparkly Vampires 2: Revenge of the Sparkle
        Sparkly Vampires 3: The Sparkling
        Sparkly Vampires 4: Time to Sparkle
        Last edited by Nurian; 04-14-2010, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Ooooooh! Pwetty!

Im jealous, but thats awesome. Ive been fighting with myself on getting one but I havent been able to give up my books yet.

Comment

I bought a silver one for my sister's bf. He loves and adores it and he's had 3 days.
            As soon as I start thinking
            That I'm sensible and sane
            The Random Hedgehog comes along
            And fiddles with my Brain
            (from card I got)

Comment

I have to say...shoulda got a nook.

You can get it at Best Buy, too.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Ooh, let me know how it works and how you like it. I've had my eye on one of those Sony book readers since we started carrying them at the swamp.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  I have to say...shoulda got a nook.

You can get it at Best Buy, too.
                  I'm happy with what I got. I love the touch screen, I love the color and I love the lack of data plan (trust me, it saves me money when I have to stop and think about what I want first ). I even doodle on the notepad.

I can't regret it at all

Comment

I've had a Sony Reader (model PRS-505) for two years now. I love it. I spend 3 months every year in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do at night, and it's a lifesaver. I have several hundred books downloaded, mostly freebies. I get my public domain titles from http://manybooks.net. It's pretty much everything from Project Gutenberg plus Creative Commons titles, in whatever format you want--currently over 26,000 titles. There are a number of other sites from which you can get the same titles. Sony's ebook store also has free books regularly. For books under copyright, there's a number of ebook stores, and many libraries will lend ebooks.

The screen is as easy on the eyes as paper. I get terrible headaches from staring at an LCD avoiding work all day, but can still read at night no problem. Unlike books, you can easily hold/use it one-handed (nice for reading in bed), and of course it's perfect for traveling. I have something like 200 titles, ranging from short stories to the Lord of the Rings trilogy in one volume, on it now--and mine can also take an SD card for effectively unlimited capacity. It doesn't have any annotation ability or dictionary, but I wouldn't use those anyway. The lack of wireless connectivity is also a non-issue since I'm either at home where plugging in to the computer is easy, or in the middle of nowhere where no cell signals reach anyway. Other models of ebook readers do have those things of course. http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ have tons of information about all the ebook readers out there. They also have nicely-formatted public domain titles.

I love this thing so much I think Sony should pay me commission .

I haven't given up paper books. In fact, I have about 2 feet of shelf space of books waiting to be read. But to bring 3 months worth of reading overseas would mean not bringing other things, like clothes (I read a lot). Instead, I can just take my Reader and be set for reading material.

Ebooks readers are the best thing to happen to books since....books.

Congratulations on your new toy Nurian (and Elspeth)!

-K'Z'K
                    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong."
                    -Edward O. Wilson

Comment

I've considered getting something like that when I start going to more conferences and such. Apparently you can download research books and articles on to some models, which can be really helpful.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I absolutely love my Sony Touch eReader. Commuting an hour on the train & bus made it a necessity. I got the red version at Best Buy, because for the same price, it came with the cover & light. The newer trains have a seating area where the light is pretty much non-existent when you're going through a 5-mile tunnel, so it was a necessary indulgence.

It's going to the beach with me this weekend. Beats lugging around hard-copies in my duffel.
                        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

With cover and light you say? I am intrigued.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            The Limited Edition Bundle package. My BB was out. They said others had them, but I didn't feel like driving 40 miles to get it. So I got my black one.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              Linky linky for Irv to see

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+R...&skuId=9726876
                              That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Working...
                              X