This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun at the Museum!

Went to see the Silk Road exhibition at the Museum of Natural history in NY.

Kudos to hubby's workplace, Met Life for organizing the event. Free admission, and $25 dollar all day parking

It started at 8 am, so being in a wheelchair, I had to go in through the security and shipping entrance because the normal doors were locked. The security staff were great. In general I had previously had experiences where anything nonstandard caused security to burp to a halt but yesterday the very cute and nice guard let mrDrone and I in, and took us up the elevator and to the registration desk for the event and told us a couple neat places I could get to in my chair to get an elevator and not fight with crowds of people.

We saw pretty much everything we could in 9 hours and only managed to get through maybe a third of the place. We are planning on going back again and seeing the rest sometime soon. I highly recommend the rock and gem collection. I was mildly disappointed they didn't have a fluorescent rock exhibit - I think kids would get a kick out of it. [basically a light box with normal light, fluorescent light and black light - so you flick on the different bulbs to see how the rocks look under different lighting. Lots of fun =) ]

Unfortunately the wheelchair I borrowed to see if I liked that specific model turned out to not be what I wanted and need. On the plus side, I am not as sore as I thought I would be from having to strongarm my way around the museum. I hate kludgy bearings and chairs that are heavier than they need to be =(
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Wow, I haven't been there in years!!! I should really get to the city more.

And $25 to park all day! I went to a concert with my brother once (I forget where, exactly; it was several years ago) and it cost him $30 just to park for a few hours!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      Wow, I haven't been there in years!!! I should really get to the city more.

And $25 to park all day! I went to a concert with my brother once (I forget where, exactly; it was several years ago) and it cost him $30 just to park for a few hours!
      Normal parking there is $17 an hour
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
      X