This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Amina516 View Post
    Now, I vaguely know of Pennsic and SCA through a friend of mine whos been in since childhood, but Ive never actually asked her about it.. ( i know, im a bad friend). I know i can google, but Id prefer if someone here could tell me about it, on a more personal level. Pwetty Pwease?
    Feel free to PM me if you want, I'm deputy Chatelaine in my Shire, I should be able to answer any questions
    Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      Yeah, Kheldarson is correct. Kingdom of Atlantia, and I am in the Barony of Nottinghill Coill. I'm pretty much a lifer, been in about thirty years.

Might go to Pensic, I dunno. Would like to, but man, it's so far away and it's hard for me now. Going back and forth on it. Household has already started hassling me about it.

Kheldarson, you play any since? :-)

If I DO go, I'll let you all know. Court of Miracles, in what was once W-20 but now is the X block way down in the Swamp. Mine is the green canvas-topped vardo.
      Random question, have you met Baron Abel? He's just a court Baron but he and his lady camp with me at Pennsic, they're the only people I know out of Atlantia.

And for the record anyone who makes it to Pennsic is invited to my camp's annual 'feed the bog/swamp/random passersby' fry party. Deep fried everything.
      Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Pennsic is another world, pretty much. It's not like a Renfaire, because there are performers and visitors at that. At Pennsic, you just are who you are, if that makes sense, and you live in the world that that facet of who you are lives in. There are no spectators or visitors.

It's a huge camping event, with ten thousand plus people there. It is it's own little world. There is a market, named streets, landmarks, nightlife, etc. There are specific customs. The place has it's own geography (you live on the Serenghetti, in the Swamp, in the Bog, on the Lake, in the High Meadows.). Everything is more or less supposed to be SCA period (or, I guess what you could call "Pennsic period".)

There is a lever of helpfulness and friendliness and cameraderie that has been missing from the real world for too long. Strangers greet each other with a "Welcome home!"

Love it or hate it, there is nothing else like it.

Some people call it "Mud Wrestling for Thousands." I call it "Brigadoon." A very spiritual friend calls it a "soft place."

I find it interesting that once it gets into you and you start dreaming about it, your dreams of Pennsic are NEVER how Pennsic really is (I took a poll last year.). Not one person I asked said they ever dreamed of Pennsic how it really is. They dream of it the way it is once it's filtered through their own psyche. It never looks the same for anyone when they dream about it. It's almost as if it's different for everyone who experiences it.

Shankyknitter: I might know his face. I am bad with names, but good with faces. I also heard about the fry party. Crazy. :-DDDDD

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
          Amusingly enough, I knew a Morgana when I was in Calontir. Mistress Morgana bro Morganwyg, I believe her name was. She was a Skald, and I'd apprenticed with her, but as I was in the USAF, got pulled away.
          Yup, that's the correct name. I knew her, too, haven't talked to her in awhile. Hmm, maybe I should try to get back in touch . . .

Comment

Well, it has been 20 odd years since I was there. In that time frame, I'm doing well to remember my own persona name, much less anyone else's, so I'm delighted that I got it right.
            The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

I'm not a paid member yet, but I've been involved with the Barony of Adiantum, Principality of the Summits, Kingdom of An Tir. I've been doing mostly Scribal work, would like to learn about medieval cooking and other household skills, maybe learn archery or swords.

Yes, I'm still working on a name and time period (I'm thinking maybe England circa 1000 AD).
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I used to be involved with the Canton of Attilium- Barony of Windmaster's Hill- Kingdom of Atlantia. I played as Margaret (Meg) Bailey. I did some fencing and a little bit of archery. I also did some embroidery, costuming, singing, event planning, and gaming (Nine Man Morris, Fox and Geese, and Senet). I miss it. I had to stop when gas prices went through the roof since it was a gallon to fighter's practice and a gallon back.

Comment

The College of St. Gollius, newbie as of this year but I've been doing it off and on since last year.

Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Not a SCAdian - because apparently Ansteoria (sp?) / Bringwald (sp??) in TX sux massively!

My family gave them a try in the early 90's - and after 1 too many run ins with politics and general bs - we just stopped going. One such incident included me at 10 yrs old - highly asthmatic in October of 93 - Halloween weekend - it froze; and i had my breathing machine with me but the only electricity we had was at the base of a telephone pole - outside! Tried going into the kitchens, and someone tried to tell my mother we couldn't go in there - this aroused the "protective momma bear" instinct in her - luckily someone who'd been storing food in our freezer for this event stepped in and said it was ok before things got out of hand.

So I am an avid Rennie-Playtron

I've heard from many SCAdians that yes the kingdom/barony etc here is not at all like any of the ones everywhere else - but i still hiss when i hear "SCA"

*yay first post*
                    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                      I learned a lot during my time and now I realize that regular camping is BORING unless it includes a Bardic Fire.
                      I hear ya on that one. Thankfully I can turn any fire into a Bardic Fire. My Laurel tells me so. He also says I need to go work on my Norse poetry or he's going to take my belt back.

I told him he'd lose his hat. And since any plan where you lose your hat is a bad plan he decided he'll let me keep my belt...for now.

Comment

Yep, that's one of the reasons I came to dislike the West - I never once saw a Bardic Fire, or even a Bardic Circle, at any event. I'm not a stick-jock, and I'm not an artisan.

I do write poetry (won a contest in Calontir, in fact) and will sing, though not very well, so I want Bardic stuff to make the trip worthwhile.
                        The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

I don't have a problem not being able to find a bardic fire.

We frequently ARE the bardic fire.

(we have a website: www.paintedwheel.com)

Also, no group or club anywhere, SCA or otherwise, is devoid of assholes or politics. It aint the SCA, nor is it your local group. It's people.

Avoid assholes. Avoid politics. There is no reason anyone must get involved with either.

This philosophy has worked for me for decades.

Comment

Avoid assholes. Avoid politics. There is no reason anyone must get involved with either.

A sound philosophy for life.

Comment

oh i tell people all the time that i'm allergic to stupid and drama - i have violent reactions

But all the SCAdians i've met from elsewhere have been awesome, some still go to Pennsic, but will have nothing to do with SCA here - even most of the folks out of Houston area (i'm in austin) will admit to the fact there is a ton of BS here - i dunno, i agree you'll find it anywhere - but i love my Rennies
                              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Also, no group or club anywhere, SCA or otherwise, is devoid of assholes or politics. It aint the SCA, nor is it your local group. It's people.
                                QFT. There's always going to be some jerk who's going to ruin the fun. Sadly, that's human nature.

Excellent philosophy, RK. That should go on a banner!
                                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                                My LiveJournal
                                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                                X