This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Good Vibes (and lots of beer)

Some of you may remember that I am an American who has been living in Japan for three years (that's how I start off most of my posts ). On April 6 I started a new job in a new town with a new company. And today? Everything I have is hanging by a thread: my job, my apartment, and my work visa. I could lose it all any day now.

The week after I started work rumors began to surface that the company was in real financial trouble and they were going to close down 1/3 of their schools. Then it all came to a head this week, now officially The Longest Week of Misty's Life:

TUESDAY (4/20): "We've called this company-wide meeting to assure all employees that despite what you may have heard, [Company X] is doing fine. No worries, business as usual."

WEDNESDAY (4/21): "Oops! We're bankrupt! And we've been bought by [Company Y]!"

That same day me and my fellow wage slaves traveled to the head office (at our own expense) to hear what was going to happen next. They told us the following in a brief handout:

*Company Y bought Company X on 4/16.
    *Company X declared bankruptcy on 4/20.
    *All Company X employees are hereby fired.
    *Company X will not pay employee wages for the last 30 days (we have a line of creditors a mile long who are much more important than you).
    *All schools will reopen under Company Y on Friday 4/23 (except for the ones they've decided to close permanently).
    *Company Y will hire Company X employees under the same Terms and Conditions as your Company X contract though July 31. Starting August 1st, new Terms and Conditions will be in effect (their obligation under our agreement is over at that point, so you will officially be their little b****. They might keep you on or just cut you loose, we don't know. All we know is that it's not our problem).

Some of you may have noticed a few interesting things regarding the time line:
    Date Y bought X: 4/16
    Date X declared bankruptcy: 4/20
    Date X declared to employees "everything is fine": 4/20

'nuff said

THURSDAY 4/22: Day off. Plenty of time to alternate between sitting in quiet disbelief and "what the f*** am I going to do now" crying.

FRIDAY: 4/23: Back to school and "business as usual" cleaning up Company X's mess. Students want answers. Employees want answers. Management from Company X has no answers because our new corporate masters at Company Y are not giving them any.

Finally, Company Y sends out "sample contract" and asks all employees who agree to their terms to send them a signed copy, and then they will send a "real" contract. The sample contract is brief and an important point needs clarification, but we hear no more from Company Y.

SATURDAY 4/24: We continue to await vital information from Company Y via email, but the computer at my school has somehow been infected with a virus. Luckily, we manage to beat it back from Outlook and receive some crucial information. It seems our new contracts will be faxed on Tuesday, but there is still no clarification on that important point. Thus we leave for the weekend with a cliffhanger: Will the new contracts come through? Will we finally get clarification? Is Misty saved or screwed? Stay tuned!!

...which brings us to the present. That important point I spoke of was what will happen after July 31st. Will they give us new contracts or will they cut everyone loose (or in my case, sooner because my work visa expires in 7 weeks). If Company Y doesn't sponsor my new work visa like Company X was going to, I can't get work here and must move back home to the U.S. with no money and no job prospects

I'm new in town and I know nobody, so tonight I must drown my sorrows alone. To all those out there who knows what I'm going through

Find a noodle house and have some ramen. According to many movies...ramen and not sake cures all. As for the companies...I hope they get their act together and you don't loose your job nor your work visa. I think it would be awesome to work there, if only I knew Japanese.

Comment

Sending positive thoughts your way, Misty.

I hope this all works out for you.

Mike
      Meow.........

Comment

Have one on me too. It sucks being in limbo.
        Make a list of important things to do today.
        At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
        Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Here's a case of brewskies on me and some too.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

*gives Misty a cake to plant her face into*

Sometimes cookies just aren't enough.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Jesus H. Pogostick Guy!

You're definitely in some hot saki here. Hope things get better, and you have some clear answers to work with.

PSST if you come back to the US, get all the oddball candies you can before coming back here Oh, and while you're there, try squid jerky.

Cutenoob
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Good luck. And have a few Kirins. (Asahi is nasty, I think.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Good Luck, Misty.

Hope you get the answers you deserve reallllly soon.

Have a Meiji bar.

Comment

Working...
                  X