This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civet Coffee.

Has anybody here actually HAD it? (civet coffee is actually pooped out by a cat like animal called a civet in Vietnam. Its supposedly one of the worlds finest coffees!!)

Is it worth the $$ it costs?

I really want to try it, but dont know if I want to spend $35 for the 5-10 servings of this stuff.

Thinkgeek has it just in time for Mothers Day.

On a related note - is the monkey-picked tea worth it? I'm always looking for gifts for DH.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
      Has anybody here actually HAD it? (civet coffee is actually pooped out by a cat like animal called a civet in Vietnam. Its supposedly one of the worlds finest coffees!!)

Is it worth the $$ it costs?

I really want to try it, but dont know if I want to spend $35 for the 5-10 servings of this stuff.

Thinkgeek has it just in time for Mothers Day.
      It is supposed to have a superb chocolaty flavor. But I have always wondered how someone figured that out?! "Oh look! Some pooped coffee beans! Let's try a cup!"
      Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

It's called Kopi Luwak. My dad bought me some once (amounted to a few tablespoons of whole beans), and I like it. Not as acidic. I saw that ThinkGeek has it again and might pick some more up.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I don't care WHAT it tastes like, I'm not eating something that came out of a cat's butt.
          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I had it once at a high end coffee shop for 10oz at 8 dollars. Honestly in my opinion it wasn't worth it. It wasn't as bitter as I find most coffee's and I didn't need to doctor it up like I normally do. Aparantly it's taste also depends on when the beans were found. But I had a gift card and just...tried it.

HYHYBT, the animal that eats the bean pods is not a cat. It's from the Viverridae family. And if you think thats disgussting...you haven't seen/heard nothing yet.

Comment

So I guess nobody wants to try this fermented bee barf...

AKA mead.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Why on earth do people even try these things?

Cat poop coffee. Bee barf. Fermented cabbage with spices.

I wonder sometimes if the wild people in a society get extra wild and say, "Oh hey, we aint never done THAT, lets give it a go" and find these things. And keep Darwinawards.com happy with stories.

Cutenoob
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post

AKA mead.
                  that had me in fits of giggles. Surprisingly I have NOT tried mead, I actually went for cider this weekend.

Also, guess what we had in a cauldron over a fire? Turkish Coffee....
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post

AKA mead.
                    I used to make mead until mom determined it made too much of a mess.

I told my mom about the civet coffee and the first rant she went off on was "how can you think about spending the money for that"...she still thinks it's a scam

I mentioned bee barf and bovine mammary fluid (milk)...she didn't get it.

Some people are just adventurous when it comes to food. If it ends well, so be it. If it ends badly, hopefully everyone else knows what to avoid. How was haggis first 'discovered'? I hate sauerkraut and boiled cabbage, but can't get enough of stuffed cabbage.

The beans themselves aren't digested so are pretty much intact when they're found (only thing missing is the fruit). If I didn't know how they got that way, I'd probably toss them in the harvest as well--beans are money.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                      Why on earth do people even try these things?

Cat poop coffee. Bee barf. Fermented cabbage with spices.
                      Because they turn out so yummy? (Actually I'm some kind of freak - I don't like kimchee all that much). There's the line that we'd all owe a big debt to the first person to try an oyster, were it not for the fact that he had the privilege of being the first person to enjoy that.

Comment

Working...
                      X