Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You CAN live in paradise! (No, really!)

For the 543,984,793th time in the four plus years I have lived in this three bedroom apartment, the third roommate is (apparently) leaving. While it is not 100% guaranteed, it seems her job with the government is transferring her Somewhere Else. And Mr. Anti-Social and I are left scratching our heads trying to figure out whether it is better to find Yet Another Fucking Roommate or to perhaps move in to a two-bedroom place and save ourselves the trouble.

Me, I'm lazy. I don't want to move. Not until I move back to Arizona, that is. I also don't want to pay more in rent per person than I am paying now, as would almost certainly be the case in a new two bedroom, in this complex or elsewhere. Also, if we re-up with the complex now (as opposed to July's end, the when the lease runs out), our rent will stay the same as it's been for quite some time. Which is a Good Thing.

So, the upshot is that I will probably have a room available for renting. Which could be yours.

Yes, you could be living in paradise. Key West. The Florida Keys. The tropics.
    Sure, it's Key Weird. That's half the fun of it. It's a great plae with much magic, a ridiculously awesome nightlife, stupidly wonderful weather, and the kind of place that will make your friends and family jealous of you merely by the name. And more so when you send them pictures or they visit you. You can drink till four, sail outrageously blue waters, dive the third largest coral reef in the world, snorkel gorgeous seas, and generally get lost away from whatever is bothering you Back In The Real World. Hell, a lot of the people who come here do so to escape something else, be it the law, responsibility, life gone to shit, monotony, cold weather, the rat race, etc. I know a PhD who's happier know as a Key West boat captain than he was doing cancer research. His story is hardly a solitary one down here.

The neighborhood is in a nice area, what they call New Town, which is not downtown, but at the other end of the (two mile by four mile) island from the downtown insanity. This is great if you like to come home to a quieter place, and if you don't want to spend lots of money and/or time looking for a parking space, as those who live downtown do. It is also convenient to everything you might need, such as grocery stores, movie theaters, gas stations, etc.

The apartment itself is an upstairs one with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a decent-sized and fully-stocked kitchen, a mini-washer and dryer, and a balcony that overlooks the pool. (Oh, did I not mention the pool? This being Key West, you can take advantage of the pool most of the year. Unless, of course, you prefer the ocean, which is never far away....this being a small island.)

The room for rent comes with its own bathroom, a walk-in closet, and a large bed. And whoever rents it gets the (probably dubious) honor of living with Mr. Anti-Social and, of course, me. (As I said, dubious.)

Of course, there are downsides as well. A semi-minor one being that, since this is not downtown, sometimes getting home from the downtown bars can be a bit challenging. And while Key West has not gotten quite as shit on economically as the rest of the country (or even the rest of Florida), it still can be challenging to find a job down here. I have a very qualified friend who has been looking for a job for about a month now, with so far no success (though that may change this week). I would actually advise against moving here without a job lined up, even though people do it all the time.

No, I don't honestly expect that anyone from on here is going to up and move here. But I am so frustrated with this revolving roommate thing that I needed to vent. And who knows? Maybe someone here needs some new scenery.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I am going to go repeatedly slam my head into a brick wall until I feel better. This may take a few hours.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Oooooooooooh, my own bathroom.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If i wasnt married, didnt have kids, and no steady job in PA...id be down there in a heart beat...

I hope the search goes well and a move is not in your upcoming future.

Comment

Sorry if you've already posted this, but where exactly are you located relative to Callahan's?

Comment

I have no idea where Callahan's is, or even what it is. If it's in Key West, it is something new that I haven't heard of.

But to be precise, I live in Key West, Florida. If you're not sure where that is, look at a map of Florida (perhaps this one). See the bottom of the state where Miami is? See the string of islands extending southwest from the bottom? Yeah--those are the Keys. See the last one that you can drive to, about 150 miles southwest of Miami? THAT, my friends, is Key West.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Two, no wait Three, questions I'd have to ask first:

1) What's the marinas/RV parks like and how much are they?

2) Any jobs at all?

And the only thing that's keeping me OUT of FL right now is 3) Is the Grand-Bastard dead yet?

If the Grand-Bastard (my father's father) was 6 foot under then I'd go ahead and make it back to FL. Since we haven't gotten any word from Dad's Favourite Sister, there's a biiiiig chance he's still alive. Ruddy Bastard. So 3 is right out.

If I could find a good paying job, cheap place to park the Bus and a marina to moor the Trimaran, I'd totally do it. Mom, the Native Floridian, might like being back on the Islands.
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

You are killing me here man, you really are. Especially if there are charter pilots looking to hire lackeys around there.
              That and I sorely need a drink.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                1) What's the marinas/RV parks like and how much are they?
                Marinas are plentiful and probably expensive. We have RV parks but I don't know diddly about them. But nothing in Key West is cheap. Nothing.

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                2) Any jobs at all?
                Sure there are jobs. It's just not always easy to find one that isn't filled. Keep in mind, I know mostly about the restaurants and bars. Beyond that industry, I really don't know squat.

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                You are killing me here man, you really are. Especially if there are charter pilots looking to hire lackeys around there.
                That and I sorely need a drink.
                I know less than nothing about the job market for pilot lackeys. But drinks are definitely plentiful here!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Well, I've posted an ad. Let's see what winners this turns up, and how much of the ad they completely ignore! (My personal bet is on either the "no early morning calls please" or the "deposit required.") Wheeee!!!!

Still A Customer."

Comment

So.....Can I call early in the morning about drinks? If you get me properly liquored up you can catch any flights that I was meant to be on, it could be a trade. Flying in small planes is FUN...It's cause you get to wear headsets and do pilot talk.
                    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

How much is rent anyway?
                      Military Spouse Support.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

So.....Can I call early in the morning about drinks?
                        I respond very poorly to people who call me early in the morning. Ask my friend Frank, upon whom I just played the Greatest Prank Ever, mostly as revenge for his constant habit of doing just that.

Anyone who ignores that part of the ad and calls early in the morning will prove to me that they can't read, and will be dealt with the way my managers deal with people who ask to fill out applications and then ask to borrow a pen, since they don't have one.

Yeah.

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                        How much is rent anyway?
                        $600/month plus a share of utilities. Own bedroom, own bathroom, walk-in closet.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Oops..I forgot I about that. The call of fine liquor got to me.
                          I like the way you think.
                          That also reminds me I owe my best friend some revenge, I should get working on that.

Comment

That also reminds me I owe my best friend some revenge, I should get working on that.
                            If you need help coming up with something good and evil, let me know. I happen to be really good at this sort of thing. Just PM me why you owe them revenge (I have to feel the cause is just to lend my vindictive talents out), what the target is like, and I shall endeavor to come up with something.....fitting.

Still A Customer."

Comment

*hug* it's appreciated. I will let you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X