This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I broke my baby (very long

OK, she's not really broken, and it could be a lot worse and I truly know this is not my fault but I can't help feeling guilty over it.

Maybe I should blame the Man, lol.

This is my youngest, the one I mentioned in another thread that I originally didn't want. The one that is now my shadow, my little fighter that makes my heart celebrate everyday. She is 4.

In November 2008, it became clear to me that something was not right. She was 2 1/2 and not talking. I'd noticed her lack of speech months before, but I had other late talkers that were just fine. Every kid develops at their own rate. And I already knew that DD4 was a late bloomer. She didn't walk until she was 16 months old (she was 90th percentile for height and 20th for weight and had tiny feet). She couldn't feed herself her own birthday cake on her 1st birthday. And she was a very serious baby - she rarely smiled and didn't laugh until she was 2. She was very different from her older siblings. I think we knew from birth that she was different (and not in a bad way).

So that November, I called an early intervention center for an evaluation, and her pediatrician. She also went to an ENT for a hearing test. Her pediatrician couldn't find anything physically wrong with her, the early intervention people noticed her delay and started play therapy, and she failed the hearing tests. Because of insurance delays, she wasn't able to get the definitive testing done on her hearing until February 2009. That was a very emotionally draining day for me. Did I mention she was a fighter? Took 2 doses of the sedative to knock her out. She fought sleep so hard before she was out. It was like a 1 hour long tantrum, and it's hard to see your child fight a battle you know they won't win. She ended up with bruises on her head from all the thrashing. Anyway, the test let us know where the problem was. She had fluid in her ears - and apparantly really tiny ear canals because they had to use the newborn probes on her. She had never had an ear infection before. A month later, she had the surgery to put the tubes in (the tiniest they could find) - a week before her 3rd birthday, and then finally passed a hearing test. And she also started preschool because she was aging out of early intervention.

We noticed a difference right away. She was reacting differently because she could hear us. She was trying to repeat everything she heard. But her speech development seemed to be going so slow. There was no preschool in the summer, but I did notice her picking up some words. She started school again in the fall and about a month later, her special ed teacher and speech therapist approached me with the possibility of moving her to a different school. The school district had overbooked the classroom and in their words, the class was becoming "too big to function." So I moved her. It was a smaller class and there was only one other special ed kid in the class.

I should also mention that around the time we started this whole ordeal, she started to loosen up and become social - and smile! So she charmed everyone she worked with. They all love her. They all have lots of good things to say about her. Her speech therapist tells me that she's a delight to work with, but also that she has no patience and is stubborn as hell (I know that all too well). So I'm sure that is hindering her therapy some, when she wants to do something else. They know that at this age, they have to keep activities/exercises to no more than a few minutes at a time, so I don't think they are pushing too much on her. But it's got me wondering if there is not something else wrong with her. She has low muscle tone in her mouth, I've known that all along. And when I brought it up with the speech therapist, she gave me a bunch of exercises that would help, like blowing on a whistle, blowing bubbles, putting peanut butter on the back of her front teeth and make her find it with her tongue, putting sprinkles on her lips, etc.

Like I said, she makes my heart celebrate everyday. Everytime she talks to me and I can clearly understand, it brings a tear to my eye. And as impatient as she can often be, she shows quite a bit with me when I can't understand her and she tries to repeat it multiple times until I get it (I feel like I'm bilingual sometimes, lol). Still, I feel that she should be talking so much better than she is at this point. It's been a year since the tubes.

Last Christmas, she had some bloody drainage from one of her ears. It wasn't a lot, just enough to make a mess. We had been travelling and she had been complaining that her ears were popping. I called the ENT when we returned home and he couldn't see her for a couple of weeks but prescribed some drops for her ears. A week later, she got quite ill and I took her to the pediatrician and he discovered she had an ear infection - her first ever, and gave us antibiotics. She saw the ENT at recheck time and he saw that there was fluid in her ears and said it could be chronic or residual and wanted to wait and see what happened. She failed the hearing test again. In March, he saw her again. He could see that the tubes had come out of place, but were still in her canals. That's normal 9-15 months post-op. One ear was perfect, but the other was still having issues. It was better, but not completely. We decided to wait and see again. Today it was the same thing. He didn't see fluid this time, but the audiologist said she had retraction in her right ear. She explained to to me like her ear needed to pop, but couldn't. So there is negative pressure in her eardrum. The ENT thinks we should put another tube in that ear. This time I wasn't so eager to jump on that bandwagon because I'm feeling guilty about being a little to eager to put her through all these procedures involving anesthesia previously. He really is an excellent doctor and does not push anything on me. He has always fully explained the reasons why he thinks she needs certain things, so I know he is taking everything into account. But I told him I wanted to talk to her speech therapist first. I don't really know why I felt that way. I talked to the Man on our way out and he feels that she should have it done, and he has valid reasons for that.

So I cried on the way home because my little fighter is broken. And I can't help but feel like it's my fault (though I know it's not). The reason I joked that it was the Man's fault is because he is studying psychology. He shares things he learns with me. Some of the reasons he gave me for not putting off another tube are things he's studied. One night he says to me, "hey, look at this!" and reads to me about how mothers that suffer depression during pregnancy tend to have children with developmental delays. I had horrible depression with DD4's pregnancy. I told him "gee thanks. That's supposed to make me feel better?" And he had to pull his foot out of his mouth. We had a lot of issues surrounding the pregnancy into a few months after her birth because of depression.

So while her issue is relatively minor, I can't help but feel saddened that she has to struggle so. And I can't help but wonder if I could have prevented it.

Me and my shadow
    Last edited by Aut; 05-04-2010, 08:06 PM. Reason: I wasn't done

Not a doctor, here. Not a psychiatrist, nor a psychologist either. I could go on for a long long time about the list of things that I'm not. What I am, that might matter to you, is someone with a long history of ear issues. For me, my right ear has been the bane of my existence, and some days I just want to tell the doctor to remove it, and all the wetware inside my skull that relates to it.

So, I can understand, at least a little, what your shadow is going through. I went through many of the exact same things, as did my sister. We both got tubes put in our ears, and my sister had it done twice.

You did nothing wrong, and you did not break her. Ear problems during the first several years of life are common, normal, and (most importantly) treatable. You are taking care of the issues, and she will be so much happier for the results.

It sounds like you've got some good people working with her to make sure she will be well. Take their advice.

Just know that she is not broken, and you did not break her. And everything will be alright in the end.

Comment

She's not broken.... she's PERFECT.

You're just learning how to help her be the person she's supposed to be.

This struggle is going to strengthen her personality. As long as she remains stubborn and in fighting form, she'll never be broken. Maybe she'll be more empathetic to those around her. Maybe it'll put her on a path to finding medical cures. You do not know what it's going to be. This is a journey that you and your family gets to make that many people will never have to. It's tough, it sucks and heaven knows how much you wish it didn't have to be this way, but what a privilege to have a special child that still can smile and laugh and fight through pain and hearing loss.

You didn't do this to your child, and no matter what any one else says, it's just the way she was made. You just want to make the decisions and choices that will help her along the way to adulthood. That's the justification for having surgery, you'll never know unless you try, and your daughter will know you want to fight for everything that is best for her. That's love and that is perfection.
      Make a list of important things to do today.
      At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
      Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I don't have anything to add except she so CUTE!!

Hang in there, Aut. The docs are taking good care of her and you are too.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Funny the picture must be broken for me because I see no broken people in it. I see a happy little girl and her smiling Mom.

Comment

Your daughter is beautiful!

My sister had a lot of ear trouble as a child. I don't know all the details but I remember she had tubes put in three times (they came out most, if not all of the times) and hearing issues in elementary school. She is now very articulate, working on a masters level certificate and recently was part of a really important presentation for the lab she works in. She's doing better than me!

Comment

Your daughter is gorgeous! She looks like a happy little munchkin and that's all that matters.
              My siblings had ear issues, my Dad's industrially deaf, but they're all fine! My younger sister has speech issues as well, when we were kids I was her translator, but she grew out of it. She did go to speech therapy, but that didn't seem to help much. By the time she got to school, the kids she was friends with just assumed she had an accent and were jealous.
              My eldest munchkin is also a little slow with speaking but her speech has really picked up since she started kindy.
              I'd tell you not to stress, but you're a good mum so you're going to worry about her regardless of what we all say.
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

She is just fine, little ones just have different ways of doing things, just ask my mom and special ed teachers. She is so lucky to have a mommy who loves her so much and fights for her too. She looks just like her mommy, you have such a beautiful daughter. Now I need to go find a tissue *sniffle*
                I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Thank you all.

She really is a different kid than she was the first 2 years. She's a riot now. And a typical curious kid that has made my grey hair explode. She's recently taken up climbing, yikes!

Talked to her speech therapist today and since there is only a few weeks of school left, we will wait until the fall to start occupational therapy. They said she qualified with the low muscle tone. I'm glad that the school district has these services for us.

Comment

Oh my goodness! Please don't think you've broken her! My son had 4 sets of tubes before things improved. We did the whole bit, speech therapy, Project Keep Pace, grand and small motor skills... He's 23 now and just fine.
                    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Another thing that bugs me about this whole thing is my family. My grandmother sees my kids more than the rest of the family, so she's on my side and defended my decisions to them. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and we all get along great (I'm currently planning our trip to SoCal to see them), but ever since my nephew (that is 5 weeks Shadow's junior) was diagnosed with autism, my sisters and mom are hypersensitive. I will admit that when Shadow was about 9 months old, I looked into it. But she grew out of it. One sister keeps insisting Shadow has Fragile X syndrome. Gramma just asked her where she got her medical degree and that shut her up.

Comment

Aut your daughter is such a cutie and looks really happy and loved

Comment

Quoth JLG View Post
                          Aut your daughter is such a cutie and looks really happy and loved
                          Exactly. You did nothing wrong. You're being an awesome mom!
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

We had the sweetest conversation when I picked her up from school today. I asked if she had a good day like I always do and she said yes, then I asked what she did, and she used to just say yes until I started asking her if she did things like color, sing, read books, etc. So she started saying color every time I asked her. Today she answered with "I watched a movie," and it was so clear, I wanted to jump for joy in the street.

Comment

Working...
                            X