This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me expand my music library?

It's pretty simple, really. I do not want to expand beyond the genres mentioned below. Not for now, at least.

1) I really like Children of Bodom, and I would like suggestions of stuff that sounds like them.

2) I recently discovered Aphex Twin, and so far I love what I've heard (my tastes are different like that), so again, I'd like suggestions of stuff that sounds similar; but I'd also like to learn more about how to make that kind of music, because I'd like to try my hand at it; the sound I aim for is what would happen if an artist in the broad "electronic music" genre (Aphex Twin and Infected Mushroom both fit here) printed out a guitar tab and Alexi Laiho played it. Not sure I make much sense but I tried.
    Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Strapping Young Lad
    Paul Oakenfold
    Underworld
    Mastodon
    In Flames
    The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

- Rammstein
      - Cradle of Filth
      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Just for the heck of it, I ran Children of Bodom through Pandora.com to see what would come up. Here's the recommendations it had:
        Dethklok
        In Flames
        Kalmah
        Dark Tranquility
        Arch enemy

Aphex Twin turned up the following "similar artists:"
        Boards of Canada
        Little People
        Squarepusher
        Bonobo
        Amon Tobin

Your mileage may vary. Neither genre does much for me, so I don't know a lot abut the bands...
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Megadeth. Mustaine's last two albums have been phenomenal.

I love Dethklok.

Mastodon is incredible. Imagine Motorhead playing Rush...

I've been slowly picking up all of Devin Townsend's music since I heard "Ziltoid the Omniscient". I find that SYL is actually a little heavier than I can get into, but I love the music he's been putting under his own name.

Have you heard Symphony X's "Paradise Lost"?

Oh, and I do enjoy Dragonforce so very much. To me, it's Iron Maiden played at doublespeed.

My tastes tend more towards the symphonic/progressive metal, like Dream Theater. I have ventured into heavier territory (Opeth is incredible and well worth hearing, and I have picked up Katatonia and Meshuggah albums) but stay a bit lighter.
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Thanks for all the names, it's probably more than I can look into over the weekend; and I'll reiterate that I want info on how to make electronic (if that is the right word) music, if anyone here can help.
            Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

I would absolutely suggest hitting Pandora and plugging in one band you really like to see what gets thrown back. I've discovered some really great music that way.

I'm a fan of Aphex Twin and a friend introduced me to Infected Mushroom years and years ago; great stuff.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
              X