Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it that you can't have minority governments, or is it just that that isn't an option until all possible coalitions have been considered?

Comment

Yay, Green Party got a seat! XXD

I'm just waiting for the word for anarchy to be declared so we can riot in the streets...
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Oh no, they can have a minority government without thinking of other options, but in practice it doesn't work, Edward Heath formed one in the 1970's - it lasted all of two days before he admitted it was unworkable.
        Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
          Oh no, they can have a minority government without thinking of other options, but in practice it doesn't work, Edward Heath formed one in the 1970's - it lasted all of two days before he admitted it was unworkable.
          So are Canadians just that used to not having government, or are we just so awesome that we can make it work? .

Comment

I think it's more that the British psyche says, "We've got to have a winner - them or us, one of us has got to win."

Right now, we've got the major players wondering what the hell's going on and if there's going to be any chance of winning when it's all run again in about six month's time.

Rapscallion

Comment

The British electoral system is a complete clusterfark - it's a wonder anyone bothers to accept it.

I've never been a fan of party politics. I've always believed that in the absence of "direct democracy" (where the equivalent of a referendum is held for every law passed), elected representatives should vote on their own conscience of what their constituency wants, and not on party lines. Party politics is the *only* reason why a majority or coalition government is such a big deal.

Still, it sounds like some kind of reform is in the offing, which should balance out the parties much better in future. There is one other big bright spot, too - the ID card scheme is going in the shredder!

Comment

Working...
              X