This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair loss?

So last week I was housesitting for my parents, so I stayed at their house for most of the week. I felt like I was losing more hair than usual in the shower; at first I wondered if it was something in the water (I think my water is harder than theirs; we tend to get an orange buildup in our shower that my parents don't get). I've been home now since Sunday but I still feel like I'm pulling out more hair than normal. Hoping it's just my imagination, but I don't think so. So tonight I did some googling and I'm hoping this is the reason:

A shock to your system -- surgery, giving birth, some medications, crash diets, severe stress, thyroid problems -- can push hair into its resting, or telogen, state. About 2 months later, you may see hair falling out -- a condition called telogen effluvium, sometimes described as hair “coming out in handfuls.” In most cases, new hair starts growing right away. Your doctor should determine if your telogen effluvium needs treatment.
    (from here).

I was really sick a couple months ago (the flu followed by "borderline pneumonia"). It started in mid-February; I missed almost 2 weeks of work - 7 full sick days and left early 3 or 4 other days - and it was a good 6 weeks before I was really better (as in, had my voice back and was able to climb the two flights of stairs at work without wanting to die). I was on several medicines over a couple weeks (two different antibiotics, stuff for congestion and coughing, and an albuterol inhaler to help me breathe better). Also lost 10-15 pounds in a couple weeks. So going by this little explanation, the timing is certainly right (though I wouldn't exactly call it "coming out in handfuls").

Hopefully this will stop soon but if not I guess I'll have to see the doctor. (Don't know if regular doc or dermatologist would be better...)
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 05-13-2010, 02:11 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Hey, I can understand where you're coming from.

I gave birth about 3 months ago. NOW I'm losing the hair. I expected it to fall out earlier, but I didn't expect this much to fall out! I'm literally running fingers through my hair and pulling out hand fuls. I think it's growing back, but it feels weird, seeing so much out.

Just ping your doctor about this, and ask if you're right on your educated guess. And glad you're not feeling icky anymore!

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Yeah, I mostly notice it in the shower; but then I try not to play with my hair too much so I don't run my fingers through it very often (I have fine hair to begin with and it gets oily, so I try to keep my hands off it as a general rule). This morning the drain was clear when I got in, and when I got out I had to clean up a big bunch of hair from it. Disconcerting, to say the least.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have medium thickness hair, and a medium head of it, too.

I have to clear the drain several times every shower, and that's after giving my hair a good brushing to pull the loose strands before I even get in.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I got my chest length hair cut back in early April to my shoulders and the stylist used a razor blade to make wispy really short layers on top to make kind of like an inverted bob style but with long layers below (and I have very fine hair to begin with)......

Now I only clean my brush once a week and haven't plugged the tub drain yet, and haven't seen tons of blonde hairballs all over the place. And I haven't noticed as much stray hairs on my clothes anymore.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
          X