This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking Tips/Ideas/Favorites

Alright guys. So I have recently crossed the threshold into the great 21. whooo..... yeah.... not really woo.... I've realized I don't care all that much. I was like "Holy crap I'm turning 21 this will be awesome!!" then it happened and I was like "meh"

ANYWAY. So now of course my friends want to drag me around and go drinking.... all the time... I have thus far managed to weasel out of all but one "drinking night" Here is the thing... my past drinking flings have been limited to a) Hard Liquor b)Smirnoff c) Mikes Hard Lemonade d)Random mixed drinks my friends make up.

So.... basically... if I want to go out and say....sip on a drink while my friends get shit faced.... I have NO clue what to order. So far I have tried a Raspberry Lemon-drop, a wonderful concoction called a "root beer float", a Cowboy C*@% Sucker, and a very nice double of Knob Creek. ((also tried a sip of an Irish trash can.... however the stupid bar uses Monster instead of red bull for it.... so it was disgusting))

Here are my drinking rules. 1)If it is a shot... I'll try anything. 2) if you expect me to sit and sip on it... I don't want to taste ANY alcohol...because I am weird like that. 3)I really don't like beer... please no beer.... I just can't stomach it.

Any drinks ya'll recommend?
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

I'm not a big fan of alcohol, either. And I can't stand beer or wine. I didn't even get to drink on my 21st. It was a Tuesday, I was at school (my big "celebration" was getting someone to cover my shift at work. Still had to do homework). The following weekend was Fall Break, so my friends and I went out the weekend before. My first legal drink was with my parents. Kind of anticlimactic.

My usual sit-at-the-bar-and-sip-something drink is cranberry juice and vodka. Though unless it's really weak you can taste the vodka. Part of the reason I like it is because between the tart juice and the vodka, you can't really drink it too fast.

If you like licorice, Black Sambuca and root beer. Yummy.

Baileys on the rocks

Lemonade and blueberry vodka (with fresh blueberries, if you have them, muddled in the bottom of the glass); I prefer Simply Lemonade if you're making it at home (My cousin the bartender did this as "The Drink" for a couple summer parties in the last couple years.)
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 05-20-2010, 02:42 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

As far as shots go, I prefer:

Straight Jager
      Red-Headed Sluts (a jager shot)
      Upside-down Pineapple shots (also known as Strawberry Short Cake shots)
      Jolly Ranchers
      Kamikazes

Mixed Drinks (which I wouldn't order myself but aren't bad):

Bay Breeze
      Sea Breeze
      Sex on the Beach

My mom's lame suggestions:

Margaritas (I've never seen anyone our age drink one at the bar)
      Toasted Almond
      B52 (shot)
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
        3)I really don't like beer... please no beer.... I just can't stomach it.
        Unfortunately, I'm a beer drinker. That said, not all beer tastes like bottled horse pee. If you can get a Lambic, which is a traditional belgian beer, fermented with lots of fruit, it really doesn't taste like beer. It tastes a lot like a carbonated fruit drink, just with real fruit, and not so much a beer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambic

I know you said no beer, but this is as far away from beer as you can get with it still being beer, and therefore, in my realm of knowledge. Other thing I know a bit about is Mead, which you aren't likely to find in a bar, as it's not a common drink. It's a wine made with honey, and is rather good. This is, of course, coming from a guy who doesn't much like traditional wines.
        Coworker: Distro of choice?
        Me: Gentoo.
        Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

I'm mostly a beer person too. Especially Guinness. Otherwise I generally go with Jameson's or some kind of schnapps in some kind of soda.

Aside--this is why I want the White Out Mountain Dew to be produced if Mountaind Dew Distortion isn't. I think it would make an excellent mixer.

I've got to try a Bill Bonds someday, which is named for a sorta crazy news anchor and is Crown Royal and Butterscotch schnapps in some proportion. This could be because I like butterscotch anything.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I think you might like Tom Collins--made with gin, tastes like lemons. Look for fruity drinks, as they generally taste less like alcohol. Bartenders make great mystery drinks if you tell them what you like and what you don't.

The quality of the liquor will make a big difference in the taste of your drink. When my fiance and I were younger and poorer, we always started drinking at the bar that had triple shots for a dollar. I like rum & coke, but the stuff tasted more like paint thinner than rum. Splurge on the nicer bar; don't waste your money on the bottom shelf liquor.

Comment

My usual sipping-don't-wanna-get-drunk drink is a bourbon and Dr. Pepper, single, tall. It's relatively weak. (Coke also works well, but I like the sweetness of Dr. Pepper.) If you like sour, then whiskey sours are always good. The basic rum and Coke is a classic, although if you wanna get fancy, order a Cuba Libre.

I actually like a good margarita - salt, lime, and on the rocks. If it comes out of a Slurpee machine, don't bother.

I don't shoot much, but my faves are the Chocolate Cake shot and Tuaca. Jameson's not bad to shoot either.
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Chambord and champagne. Or chambord and sprite, if you really really don't like the first one. I don't like the taste of alcohol either, but I absolutely loved the chambord and champagne. So much so that I wound up getting totally plastered on it one time. Be careful, champagne is sneaky stuff, it doesn't TASTE very strong, but it'll creep up on you and suddenly you can't find the floor.

Chambord is a wonderful raspberry liqueur, and mixes well with lots of other stuff as well. Just please, for the love of anything holy, don't DON'T try to mix it with any sort of cola or Dr. Pepper or root beer.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It's hard to beat a well-made old fashioned (I'm particularly fond of whiskey old fashioned sweets) but if you're not from Wisconsin or the surrounding states, your bartender might look at you like you're crazy. They're a northern thing. Whiskey, bitters, touch of sugar, cherry juice, orange juice, and sprite/7-up/whatever lemon-lime soda your bartender uses.

I also like a good amaretto stone sour, especially if your bartender will take the time to blend it. Amaretto, orange juice, sprite/7-up/whatever, ice, all in a blender. It's like an adult orange julius, kind of.

Comment

I love pina coladas. Of course, I order mine without the alcohol since I can't even stand the smell of liquor. And I like mine heavy on the coconut, somewhat lighter on the pineapple. I also love Shirley Temples which are non-alcoholic by nature, but there are alcoholic versions out there.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                      It's hard to beat a well-made old fashioned (I'm particularly fond of whiskey old fashioned sweets) but if you're not from Wisconsin or the surrounding states, your bartender might look at you like you're crazy. They're a northern thing. Whiskey, bitters, touch of sugar, cherry juice, orange juice, and sprite/7-up/whatever lemon-lime soda your bartender uses.
                      I may have mentioned this before, but I kinda think an Old-fashioned is a universal drink. The "Wsiconsin" thing surrounding old fashioneds is making them with brandy instead of whiskey.

I think I read somewhere that Wisconsin consumes more brandy than any other U.S. state by a wide margin.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        I think I read somewhere that Wisconsin consumes more brandy than any other U.S. state by a wide margin.
                        A few times a year, my mommy does more than her fair share with that.

At least I get the cherries from it.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If you don't like the taste of alcohol but you still want something that packs a punch then go with a top shelf Long Island ice tea, the cheap ones will taste rather like alcohol but when not at all when well made.

If you want a shot then try a royal flush, those things are mighty tasty. Screaming orgasms are also rather yummy but for some reason people tend to give you funny looks whenever you order them

Otherwise just ask the bartender what he/she is good at and just give it a try.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                            . The basic rum and Coke is a classic, although if you wanna get fancy, order a Cuba Libre.
                            NO! no no no, do not waste your money on a "cuba libre" - why? b/c its just a rum and coke w/ lime - order it that way! its the same drink, just you're paying more for a fancy name, although in some bars you're also upgrading the rum... but not always.

Find out what the "well" alcohol is - b/c if the bar uses for example Bacardi for their well, then just order a Rum & Coke, b/c if you order a Bacardi & Coke, you're going to pay more! (unless you have awesome bartenders)

I like hard ciders - similar to beers, but much better tasting - Strongbow is good, also Woodchuck(amber or granny smith, not their pear) or Ace (peary cider - not their apple)

I like Southern Comfort and cream soda *if you get the proportions right, you don't know you're drinking booze, but you'll feel it later* - but you can't really get that @ a bar - so i'll do SoCo and Sprite/7up, I also like a good Scotch & 7 (prefernce is for Glennfiddich)

Long Island Iced teas are good for the "lots of booze but you can't taste it" drink, and you can mix it up differently; "Texas-tea" is the same thing, but w/ Tequlia instead of rum, or so i understand... there is one i get that is vodkas, and Razzmatazz, we call it a Razztini, and it comes in full pint glass (you may have to explain concepts to the bartender, b/c there is not really a cut and dry every body does it this way formula for mixed drinks, what is called a hurricane at one place may be called a pain-killer at another... )

White Russian's are also good but if you don't like coffee flavored drinks you might not enjoy.

you're young - experiment experiment experiment - find out what you like for certain - if somebody orders something, either ask them or the bartender "what's in it?" if it sounds good - order one for yourself.

Like someone else mentioned (possibly several) if you can sit and talk w/ the bartender (go on a slow night) explain that you've just turned 21 and don't know what's good... but you do know you like specific flavors etc they'll mix stuff up for you - and if you don't like it, sometimes they won't charge you for it..

just some suggestions, hope they help - enjoy!
                            I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

A fun shot a bartender friend made for me once is a PBJ. Castries peanut rum, a tiny spash of cranberry, and pomegranate liqueur. It tasted like biting into a PBJ sandwich. He says it's even better made with Frangelico instead of Castries and Chambord instead of pomegranate liqueur, but keep the cranberry.

My husband likes a gin and tonic with a good, smooth gin like Beefeater. It doesn't have a strong alcohol taste, but I'm not a fan of juniper, so that one's all his.

I like vodka and cranberry, sex on the beach, cosmopolitans, and lemon drops. Any one of these can have a bit of an alcohol taste, but the better liquor you buy to go in it, the smoother it will be.

If you liked the Mike's lemonade (LOVE that stuff!) then you might try their other flavors. The limeade is good and so is the cranberry lemonade. I loved the pink lemonade they do seasonally for breast cancer awareness. Also, there are different cider drinks you might like as well like Woodchuck or other brands.

Sometimes, I'll just tell a bartender I want something fruity. One that I used to work with would make up a drink on the spot for me and it was always delicious.

Kittish, I'm going to have to try Chambord and champagne. Two of my favorite things! Is it better with a dryer or a sweeter champagne?
                              The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Working...
                              X