This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for some very old films, or at least information on them

Since we have a bit of an international community here, I'm wondering if anyone has been to old movie stores and has seen these?

I'm looking for films from the 1910-1912 area (yes, silent). Directed by Lawrence (Larry) Trimble and all starred his dog, Jean (a,k,a, The Vitagraph Dog). I've been unable to locate anything here, even on the internet but south Florida is very lacking in "vintage" stores.

Jean was the very first canine movie star (sorry Rin Tin Tin and Lassie, even Larry's second dog, Strongheart has you beat). IMO Larry quickly got involved with a very young industry (motion pictures) and was the pioneer with "dog star" movies. Sadly, when Larry died his entire movie catalog "disappeared" but one movie has turned up - "A Solder's Sacrifice" (turned up in Italy decades ago).

I haven't started to look for Strongheart movies yet but I'm sure these will be easier to find (I hope). Strongheart was the very first "Canine hero" star. ou can rest assured that Rinty and Lassie might not have existed if it wasn't for these two.

Larry was also a pioneer in another area - service dogs. When he retired in 1925 he trained guide dogs for the blind. Since the first seeing eye dog was given to a blind person in the mid 1930's it is a safe assumption that Larry had something to do with it.

If any of you find yourselves in a vintage store (I think a few people here frequent record stores?) please be on the lookout for these films. They're from a company called "Vitagraph" but it might be under Warner Brothers since they purchased the Vitagraph company back in 1926 (yes, I have contacted Warner Brothers). If you see any, please let me know (including the store's information). Within the USA would be preferable but Larry did travel to England to start his own company (which folded due to the start of "the Great War" (World War I).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1255970/

Here are some titles you may want to keep an eye out for to help out Draggar.

# The Signal of Distress (1912) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Bachelor Buttons (1912) .... Jean, a Dog
    # The Church Across the Way (1912) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Playmates (1912) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Jean Intervenes (1912) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Auld Lang Syne (1911) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Tested by the Flag (1911) .... Jean, a Dog
    # The Stumbling Block (1911) .... Jean, a Dog
    # When the Light Waned (1911) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Jean Rescues (1911) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Where the Winds Blow (1910) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Jean and the Waif (1910) .... Jean, a Dog
    # A Tin-Type Romance (1910) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Jean Goes Fishing (1910) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Jean Goes Foraging (1910) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Jean, the Matchmaker (1910) .... Jean, a Dog
    # Jean and the Calico Doll (1910) .... Jean, a Dog
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I already have that list but thank you.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        I already have that list but thank you.
        Yes, but we didn't. :-P As far as finding old silent movies, I'm game. I love the old silent films. :-D Those movies are old enough that copyright has long expired, and therefore, should be in public domain. You may try googling and seeing what you can find. There used to be a site that had a huge list of public domain movies, but that seems to be long gone, unfortunately.

Using the search string "public domain movies" returns a litany of sites, so you may find something there. If you find any, let us know and/or send me a copy (public domain means free to distribute, so no piracy here.)
        Coworker: Distro of choice?
        Me: Gentoo.
        Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

If they're out of copyright then and they exist I might be able to find them on some torrents sites?

Most of these films were "lost" with Larry's death, though.
          Last edited by draggar; 05-23-2010, 01:48 PM.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            If they're out of copyright then and they exist I might be able to find them on some torrents sites?

Most of these films were "lost" with Larry's death, though.
            The ones that aren't lost will be somewhere on the internet. You can find anything pretty much if you really want to find it. Even if they're still in copyright, it may be on a torrent site, although, that's illegal, and I'm not condoning it. :-)

I'll do more reading later and see what I can find from work. As for now, I must get going. :-)
            Coworker: Distro of choice?
            Me: Gentoo.
            Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Vitagraph was bought by Warner Brothers in 1925 or 1926 so anything with their name on it should be out of copyright so downloading them would be legal.

I've searched a couple for some random keywords, Vitagraph, Jean, Jean the Dog, (and the movie names) and nothing came up. I searched eBay and did find a couple of postcards with their actors and actresses names on them.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

There use to be a web site (I'm not at home so don't have access to my bookmarks) called Quicksilver Screen. I know I was able to track down some very old movies (1917-ish) there.
                "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

what about prelinger archives?
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                  X