This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting there!

So as I've mentioned previously, I'm currently working on getting my provisional driver's licence, also known as my P's.
    In short, in order for me to get said P's, I need to do the following:

-log 50 hours of driving time with a supervising driver. (10 of those have to be at night)
    -pass a driving test with a qualified instructor

OR

-pass a series of modules with a qualified instructor.

Both have the same content in them, but are delivered differently.

So I did a count of the minutes I've logged today: I am almost a third of the way there!

The total is 994 minutes. Split into 813 day, plus 181 night. I need to log 3000 minutes.

Just want a couple of tips:

1) Any advice on maintaining a consistent speed? I'm starting to improve slightly, but still need help there. Any advice? I'll fail the final drive in the module run if I blow the limit at any time.

2) What are the best ways to practice tight parking? For parallel parking, dad plans on putting 2 broomsticks and some bricks into my car, driving to a local shopping centre and using them as guides, but any other ideas?

3) Any tips on practicing reversing and/or what can be used as a guide to ensure that I'm going straight?
    Last edited by fireheart; 05-23-2010, 02:24 PM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

When Husband was learning to drive, his dad set up two sawhorses so he could practice parallel parking between them. He put an open can of beer on the rear horse and said, "Don't spill my beer." It worked; Husband is a very meticulous parallel parker.

I am not sure how roads are in your area but here in the US there are usually lines between the lanes. If you look at the center of your hood (helps if you have a hood ornament but most newer cars don't) you can line it up with the lane-lines and see you are going straight.

When reversing, use your rearview and side mirrors. A lot of people forget their side mirrors when reversing I think, but it really helps you nail the angle, especially if you are backing out of a parking space and there are cars parked behind you.

As for speed, just get in the habit of glancing at your speedometer every once in a while. maybe every time you go through a light, even if you don't have to stop.

Good luck!!
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Can't help with parallel parking...I can't do it to save my life. If I have to I look for spaces that are long enough that I can just pull in. My instructor set up cones to practice (in front of his own house...I guess he did it there in case the student went onto the grass, then we'd only be damaging his own property and not someone else's lawn, or the car if it was next to a curb.)

Maintaining speed...pay attention to the speedometer (but not too much!). It's really something you have to get a feel for with practice.

As far as backing up straight, go slow.... Good luck!

I like that they require part of your instruction to be at night. When I got my license (1992) the rules said you were not allowed to drive after dark with a learner's permit at all. Which never made sense to me. Once I got my license, I don't think my parents let me drive at night by myself the first few times, but as far as the law was concerned, I certainly could have. I also only needed 6 hours with a professional instructor (and then you could drive on a permit with someone who had had their license for at least 3 years). I got my permit the day before I turned 17, did my lessons over the next week (3 days, 2 hours each), and took my road test less than a month later. The written test I had taken a year and a half earlier, in driver's ed my sophomore year (I was 15 at the time).

I don't know all the rules now, though I know they have a graduated system. There are limits to how late you can drive if you are under 18 (11pm, I think - I worked with some high school kids in the store and they always had to leave before then to get home on time) and how many minor passengers you can have in the car (I think it's one, at least if there are no adults in the car as well). I don't know if they require nighttime instruction but I think they should.
      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 05-23-2010, 04:20 PM.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
      X