This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License troubles...

So here in the great state of Washington, we have 2 licenses. 1- under 21 =vertical license and 2-over 21 = Horizontal license.

I had to get mine renewed before I left on my trip (since it expired on my birthday), so it is still vertical even though it has the nice Age 21 on (date) stamped in the middle. It is valid till 2015 and I really don't want to go fork over cash just to get it flipped.... but it is kind of annoying when I get carded and they have to spend 5 min looking at my card before they realize "Oh hey, yeah she is 21" I had one guy try and hand it back to me the other day saying "Sorry you have to be 21." and I said "I am, did you LOOK at my birthday?" he apologized and was embarrassed.

*sigh* I am just broke... and it isn't a lot of money to get it changed... it is just more money than I can afford to just spend.

On a side note.... we just had a bunch of people move into the house across the street from our apartment... they are very loud, they all get drunk and sing all night. I wouldn't bring it up except for the fact that it is 3 pm right now... my windows are closed I am listening to music and I can STILL hear them.
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Have you tried mentioning that it's a weird license as you hand it over? It might not help with the looking for five minutes thing, but it would help with people like the guy who didn't even look.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

That happened to me with my under-21 until XX date as well. Took the ID checker a few seconds to realize I was 21 on that day
      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

I have a similar trouble. While my license is horizontal (they changed ours to vertical = under 21 after I got mine), it still has a yellow border and says "Under 21" next to my pic. I usually hand it over as I'm saying "I'm too cheap to get a new license, check the birthdate." Most of the people chuckle and don't give me a hard time.

Comment

Same here. I don't really have the money or time to go to the DMV just to get a horizontal "over 21" ID.

I've had the same license since I was 19 (since the one you get when you're 16 expires on your 19th birthday, given you don't lose it or get in too much trouble beforehand). I just deal with it.

But yeah, it sucks when clerks and bartenders almost try to send me off as an underager or a dumb kid when my birthday is clearly on there.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Mine's about to expire - now to decide if I want to renew my license in AR or get a new one in my current state. Hm. (I'm a student, so I'm allowed to maintain a permanent residence elsewhere.)
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Glad I am not the only one who has this issue. I usually do say something like "I've been too cheep to go get a new license since my birthday" or something like that.
              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
              -Red

Comment

TX has the vertical/horizontal ones too. I went to Las Vegas for my 21st birthday; and after being in Vegas for 2 days, we were playing at a downtown property, had been for several hours, and then there was a shift change, and when I won, the new guy, asked for my ID - the pit bosses nearly shat themselves... like 3 of them came to our table, but they looked at my ID, and decided that it had to be real, b/c it was so torn up and abused, that no-one would dare to make a fake that looked that bad LOL.

I actually got told "Happy Birthday" at one of the cages when I went to cash a travelers check the day of... it was kinda cool.
                I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                  TX has the vertical/horizontal ones too. I went to Las Vegas for my 21st birthday; and after being in Vegas for 2 days, we were playing at a downtown property, had been for several hours, and then there was a shift change, and when I won, the new guy, asked for my ID - the pit bosses nearly shat themselves... like 3 of them came to our table, but they looked at my ID, and decided that it had to be real, b/c it was so torn up and abused, that no-one would dare to make a fake that looked that bad LOL.
                  That shouldn't have stumped the security guys in Vegas. I used to live there, and Nevada does the same things with the under 21/vertical licenses.

Comment

TX does the same, but with a twist.

If you're not a US citizen, but still have a TX license, you get the sideways license too, no matter what your age. Instead of "Under 21 until 2099", it says "Work Visa", "Permanent Resident", whatever. I believe those have to be renewed yearly too.

Comment

Working...
                    X