This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for gift ideas

So I'm planning on visiting my closest friends in about a month, and this will be the first time I'll see their new baby. I want to bring them and their son something, but I don't know what.

Since they live so far away (and my schedule has been very busy), I haven't been able to come sooner. The baby will be about three months old by the time I get there. As a result, they have everything they need already. I know for a fact that they don't need more toys or clothes. She actually joked that because of the generosity of her family and friends, she could probably throw away his outfits after he wears them once and never run out of clothes for his first year.

With that said, they have space concerns. So I'd rather not get them something impractical since anything too sentimental (and not useful) will likely just get tucked into storage.

I can't think of a darned thing. I'm at the point where I'm considering cutting a cheque for his education fund. While I'm sure that would be much appreciated, I'd prefer to find a unique gift instead.

So I'm putting it to the most creative people I know... you guys. What is a practical baby gift that no one else would have thought to buy them yet?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Diapers. Or a savings bond are all I can think of right this moment.
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Hmm...I would suggest a gift card for Babies R Us or somewhere they can use when they need stuff...but that's not very creative.

What about some kind of wall hanging for the baby's room?...it won't take up space in the house and they don't really have to do anything with it except enjoy it.

If you want to get the something just for the parents - How long will you be staying? Would you feel comfortable babysitting for an evening while you're there? Get them a gift card for a restaurant or movie tickets (or other event if there's anything good going on while you're there) and give them a night out. They'd probably love that.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Are you able to bring them freezer food? Make a casserole or two so they can avoid cooking for a couple of nights. Perhaps a food basket with cheese, crackers and spreads otherwise? (Consumable gifts avoid the storage problem).

Don't get diapers unless you know for sure that they're not using a service. You'd feel awful getting a gift that they couldn't use. (There is NO WAY I'm washing diapers unless I end up long-term unemployed, meaning that I would be guaranteed time, and lack money).

Comment

Ooh, how bout a food basket of baby stuff, if you know what he eats (if they use formula)?
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well, if money isn't a concern, maybe some kind of super crib deally, that holds stuff under it like blankets, diapers etc. It has a board that can fold out to change diaper.

Or really, anything that gives them extra storage.

One of my favorite crib toys, besides Panda and Bambi, was this little musical intrustment that I could pull on it and it make soft music. Perhaps you can get a mellow cd player with mellow soft music for baby. Rumor is taht makes kids smarter.
            Military Spouse Support.
            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

hmmmm....
              as PP's said, diapers is always a good bet, plus baby food, baby wipes, butt cream, baby shampoo, baby moisturiser...
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Give the parents a small gift for themselves, like in a basket or something that's hand-made. Like BookstoreEscapee mentioned, the parents may want/need a day out for themselves, so it may be nice to get a giftcard to the movie theather closest to them and a local, not very expensive place to eat. If you, and the parents, are comfortable babysitting, this could work out.

As for the baby...that's hard to think of. If they don't need clothes, diapers, or anything that a baby usually needs, maybe you can pick up something small. I'm currently at a loss for the baby.
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

If this is their first child, They probably don't have a huge cash of bibs and cloths for clean-up. I know once I started solids with my first I was ALWAYS washing bibs etc cause dang are they messy. If you're familiar with their style a new diaper bag stocked with wash cloths, bibs, a teething toy or two (cause those get nasty quick and need to get thrown away) If she's breast feeding they have things called 'hooter hiders' basically a light weight blanket with a strap to go around moms neck to stay on. Or a couple of different weight blankets to go over the car seat, you can buy or make them, with straps to stay in place, so the little guy can take a nap.
                  It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

If you are the creative type, maybe you can offer to put all their baby pics to date in a scrapbook..or create one online so family can access it. I have a friend who is so crative with the scrapbook programs and she makes beautiful photo albums and scrapbooks. Offer to pick up their "diaper bill" for a month or two, savings bond, food basket for parents, throw in a little cuddly toy. Another thing that no one has probably thought of at this early stage, but maybe a set of storybooks for when he is older. What ever you do, I am sure the parents will realize that you are being loving and thoughtful and will enjoy anything that you do for them.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                      What is a practical baby gift that no one else would have thought to buy them yet?
                      Duct tape.

What? No one else thought of it, now did they? And in my experience with children, it can be very, very practical.

Seriously though, I always buy newborns some soft cuddly stuffed animal, usually something different and bizarre--my 17-year-old niece Bug still has the gator I bought her all those years ago. (Though at this point in her life, she would never admit to it.)

If they don't want more toys, I recommend diapers, formula or food (if you know or can find out what type they use), a gift certificate to a place that sells baby stuff (like diapers, formula, food, etc.), a night out the parents (as has been suggested), or a savings bond/trust fund/treasury bill/what have you.

Another thought is perhaps some childrens' movies on DVD. Obviously it is too soon for their child to be watching it, but it won't be that long before they will be all about visual stimuli. And there are lots of good kids' movies out there, both old and new.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

My daughter is only 5 weeks old, but one of the gifts that we got was a bunch of books to read to her. My sisters had found some of our old ones when going through my moms house after she died, and bought some that they remember from when we were little. We rock and read after she nurses and is falling asleep. That is also something my husband can do to have bonding time with her.

Everyone seems to think since we are in Alaska it is always cold, J was 7 hats so far, and it's been 70 degrees out. I've been telling people I appreciate the clothes and such, but no more hats.

Comment

Some excellent ideas here. Thanks guys.

The babysitting idea would be fantastic if it weren't for the short length of my visit. Because these friends haven't seen me in a while, they're not likely to want to go out without my husband and I.

Diapers and books are good ideas. A kid can never have too many of those, right? If I went with diapers, I'd just have to come up with some "gifty" way of presenting them. I don't want it to look like I'm just buying them groceries. Maybe some kind of basket presentation.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

My experience has been that new parents are always very grateful for diapers no matter HOW they are presented. If you do go the basket route, though, make sure it is practical, i.e., they can re-use the basket later for something, rather than just being forced to pitch it if they have no use/space for it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Condoms. :-)
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X