This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken questions

I am interested in getting some chickens. I know nothing of chickens. What do I need to know?
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

They taste just like rattle snake.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
      I am interested in getting some chickens. I know nothing of chickens. What do I need to know?
      Everything - from what to get to the habitat to food to environment (I could write a book by now). What do you need?

First question is - what type of chickens? Bantams (small), regulars (medium), giants (large)?

The larger the chicken the larger the egg but the more space they need and the more food they need.

High protein diet - flock raiser to start until they start laying then finish that up and move to layena. Crushed oyster shells or coral is great also (on the side). You can put in a LITTLE bit of "scratch" but not a lot. The occasional meal worm is great if they're not free range. Table scraps, lettuce are also nice treats.

Fresh water is a must.

Hay - we used T&A - a bale is about $20 here.

Hutch - rabbit hutches are great for bantam chickens.

What is your weather like? Cold winters might kill them - consider having them inside or in a garage with a heater on low. They do stink so if they're inside use a lot of ventilation (a fan blowing OUT). Lots of sunlight is great for them. They won't lay much in the winter (ours usually start laying around Ostara, oddly) and will, on occasion, not lay anything for a week or so (normal).

Also, check with local ordinances. Also, this is the answer to a VERY common question:

YOU DO NOT NEED ROOSTERS FOR THEM TO LAY EGGS.

You only need roosters if you want them to fertilize the eggs and have chicks but many town ordinances ban roosters (noise).

Edit: This site has a lot of resources but many of their forum members may be a but "elitist" or supply answers with a "you should already know this" attitude.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/
      Last edited by draggar; 05-25-2010, 10:22 PM.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

They need a bit of space to wander about and they need a warm, cozy place to nest. Most hens are pretty easy going but roosters can be a pain in the butt (though some are sweet as can be). There are loads of different kinds of chickens so look into which type would be best for the kind of environment you can provide. Chickens can also be...well...a bit dumb so try your best to idiot proof everything. You can feed them most types of table scraps and they are really good at picking bugs off of plants so you really don't need to give them all that much feed (though you should give them some daily to make sure that their diet is well balanced).

When you decide what breed you are going to get and find a farmer/breeder/rescue group to get them from ask every single question that you can think of to be sure that you have everything set up properly. They are pretty hardy buggers so they aren't too hard to keep alive but you still want to be sure that they are getting the best life possible.

Also just so you aren’t surprised chicken eggs come in loads of different colors (usually corresponding to the color of the chicken) so you may end up with green or blue eggs, even the yoke will be a slightly different color, but they will taste the same.
        Last edited by Solumina; 05-25-2010, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Quoth Solumina View Post
          Also just so you aren’t surprised chicken eggs come in loads of different colors (usually corresponding to the color of the chicken) so you may end up with green or blue eggs, even the yoke will be a slightly different color, but they will taste the same.
          Funny you should mention that. I cooked some the other week and when I bit into it the yoke was BROWN. I threw it out thinking it was bad.

When I told my wife about it - all that meant is that the yoke was very high in protein.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Yuppers, my neighbor used to have chickens that laid green eggs and I always giggled when we had green eggs and ham.

Comment

I'm thinking bantam/medium. I live in the 'burbs, so I can't do free-range. When you say table scraps, do you mean veggies and such only, or are you including meat as well? Would my cats/dog be a problem for the chickens?

Comment

Meat and veggies - just chop them up. As for the cats & dogs - you won't be able to tell until you have them. Make sure they're secure in their hutch (even use bungee cords to help keep it closed).

Bantams may be your best bet. Are you here in south Florida (by your name)? We know a good breeder up near Okeechobee but you can usually get some at local state fairs, too. Usualy the chicken tent will sell their chickens after the show.
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Speaking of roosters . . .

They do not crow at dawn.

They crow at all hours of the effing night.

Non. Stop.

So unless you live in a remote area, or you already hate your neighbors . . .

Comment

I'm just north of Atlanta, GA.

Comment

I've always wanted chickens, they'd probably be mostly pets (not the biggest egg fan, and I can't bake to save my life )

I love the poultry tent at fairs, so many different kinds of chickens, it's crazy!
                      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

There is good advice here. But you should also know that roosters are dangerous.

And while it is not likely, it is POSSIBLE to be killed by a rooster if it spurs you in the head or throat. And if you get the kind that can fly (and they cal all "fly"to at least the extent that they can leap at your face) that is a very real possibility.

I'm not trying to make you scared of chickens or anything, but you need to be aware that the roosters can be pretty hardcore. I used to collect eggs with a broom in my hand to knock them out of the air when (not if, when) they attacked me. They are territorial and protect their hens. You will get bruised, cut, and some of your clothes will get torn by spurs.

Yeah, they can be sweet, unless there are hens involved. A rooster getting laid on a regular basis is one mean bastard.

If you can't control where your hens lay eggs and some hatch, you will find yourself with way more roosters than you want. More than one is a problem. Heck, ONE can be a problem. (I had Jungle Fowl once, they could out and out FLY.)

Also, roosters will fight and possilbly kill each other. They also do quite a bit of damage to hens when they mate, and watching it will make you absolutely cringe.

If you can do without the bastards, get just hens. I don't THINK that will affect the egg laying, but it might. You might want to look that up.

Letting them run all around eating mealworms and termites and grass clippings really improves the egg quality. It also decreases your lawn quality.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          There is good advice here. But you should also know that roosters are dangerous.

And while it is not likely, it is POSSIBLE to be killed by a rooster if it spurs you in the head or throat. And if you get the kind that can fly (and they cal all "fly"to at least the extent that they can leap at your face) that is a very real possibility.

I'm not trying to make you scared of chickens or anything, but you need to be aware that the roosters can be pretty hardcore. I used to collect eggs with a broom in my hand to knock them out of the air when (not if, when) they attacked me. They are territorial and protect their hens. You will get bruised, cut, and some of your clothes will get torn by spurs.

Yeah, they can be sweet, unless there are hens involved. A rooster getting laid on a regular basis is one mean bastard.

If you can't control where your hens lay eggs and some hatch, you will find yourself with way more roosters than you want. More than one is a problem. Heck, ONE can be a problem. (I had Jungle Fowl once, they could out and out FLY.)

Also, roosters will fight and possilbly kill each other. They also do quite a bit of damage to hens when they mate, and watching it will make you absolutely cringe.

If you can do without the bastards, get just hens. I don't THINK that will affect the egg laying, but it might. You might want to look that up.

Letting them run all around eating mealworms and termites and grass clippings really improves the egg quality. It also decreases your lawn quality.
                          Ah rooster lacrosse .... you haven't played rooster lacrosse until you have to deal with a full on adult that weighs almost 10 lbs of solid nasty muscle. I had a white Hall cross broiler that went feral before we could axe him, he lived in our woods until we got a new batch of hens a year and a half later, then he decided to move back into the yard. I had to bash him away any time I needed to get to my car because several hens would lurk under my car and he was defending them.

he was good braised for a very long time in red wine.

Do not have more than one rooster to at least 4 to 6 hens. They will gang rape the hens, and they will actually pick out one hen and rape her repeatedly all day, pulling out her feathers [I really do think that is a dominance thing, I got her, no, I got her, well I got her most recently ... you get the idea]

If you want cute little clucking chickens nattering around eating bugs and laying eggs, just keep hens. If you want to breed them for food/eggs, get ONLY one rooster.

And the classic old english bantam is the cutest little hen ... they lay eggs classed as small in the grocery store.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I wasn't planning on a rooster, but thanks for the info. I will file it away for later use.

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
                              I'm just north of Atlanta, GA.
                              My general rule here:

If it gets below 45 for a few nights, they're coming inside (we have smaller cages for them - it's not the most comfortable for them but it is better than being outside.
                              '
                              If it's below 40, even for one night, they're inside.

If it's going to be between 40-45 one night or two, then I'll put a tarp over them to help keep them warm.
                              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                              X