This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new little furbaby!!

Soo...this Friday I'm going to get a new little hamster to love and take care of. Since my husband has a course to go to today, we can't do anything in regards to buying supplies and all.

Today I will deem as my Cleaning Day. Apartment must be totally cleaned because 1) I want my new arrival to at least be in a clean house and 2) I don't want my mother-in-law to say something like "OMG WHY DO YOU HAVE A RAT WHILE YOU'RE LIVING IN THIS DISGUSTING HOUSE!!?"
    She's super-nice, but I can understand if she said that to me.

Today is also the day that I start my research on finding a good, affordable vet in case I need one.

Tomorrow I will buy the cage, water bottle, wooden nibblesticks, substrate, foodbowl, little house or something they can snuggle in and wheel. I want to have it set up before I bring the hamster home, it should be a little less stressful.

Friday I will go to choose my little buddy and bring him home. It's a little cold here in Peru, enough to make me worry that it'll be too cold for it. I promise to give it a toilet paper roll and some random stuff to tear apart to make a soft, warm nest.

Which reminded me, should I throw away it's nest when I go to clean the cage? I feel kinda bad making it make the nest again...but I don't want it to live in a dirty nest either.

I'll take pictures on Friday, but I won't handle it until I can tame it. It will be a Russian Dwarf, so it might take a little while to train it.

I'm super-excited! Yay!! >.<
    Sucky Customers- Have the ability to convert non-drinkers into raging alcoholics in one phone call or less.

Awww! They are so cute! Get one of those little clear balls so they can run around in it.
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Wow! I haven't seen someone this excited about getting a hamster since Richard Gere. :-)
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I know, it' kinda sad but so is my apartment. It's so...dead And besides, I can't get anything like a cat or dog (prohibitted by my evil landlady) not do I have the time to take care of one. Hamsters, on the other hand, will sleep while I work and be awake when I return. And it'll stay in a cage and destroy only what's near their cage (which is another reason why I'm cleaning, I don't want a shirt to become a hamster nest)

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
        Wow! I haven't seen someone this excited about getting a hamster since Richard Gere. :-)
        Hey! That was a gerbil! And ew...I just remembered that reference. For a while there I was looking at your post like
        Last edited by phantasy; 05-26-2010, 04:09 PM.
        Sucky Customers- Have the ability to convert non-drinkers into raging alcoholics in one phone call or less.

Comment

Quoth phantasy View Post
          Which reminded me, should I throw away it's nest when I go to clean the cage? I feel kinda bad making it make the nest again...but I don't want it to live in a dirty nest either.

I always got rid of most of the nest and kept a couple small pieces of tissue or cardboard so it "smelled right"-also if you weren't aware they do hoard food and when you clean make sure you put some food where they had their "hoard" or they will stress/panic......and they usually do their business in one area of the cage in the states they do have "litter boxes" for that but we just used a small empty glass jar-cleaned daily it keeps the cage fresh for a week, can go two weeks as long as you freshen every few days.

And one more thing...no cedar or pine shavings aspen is better but corncob or wheat is best-cedar and pine both have oils that not only burn their feet but cause respiratory distress.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

another thing that helped when I had a hampster growing up was put a little bit of cat litter (scoopable clay type) in the corner or area where the hammy takes his business.

Also...a warm nest idea....scraps of fabric, just a small pile, mine loved it!
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I know that they like to stuff the seeds into their cheek pouches, but I actually wasn't aware that they keep a stash in their nest...I'll be sure to leave some of the stash when I clean. I will, however, dump most of it's nest and leave a little bit. I feel bad, but I dont want it to live in filth.

So, I should be getting it today instead of tomorrow. Yay!!

Can I give it yarn to shred? Or could that pose a health threat? Wel, I guess if I actually have to ask, then it's not a good idea.
              Last edited by phantasy; 05-27-2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X