This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein Irv almost, kinda sorta, gets hit by lightning

For the past few hours, we've been having thundershowers. Not much rain, no high winds or hail, but thunder and lightning.

The thunder and lightning seemed to be coming less frequently, so my stupid ass decided to go out for a walk.

I turned around after a little while to go home because I was getting more wet than I would've liked. Just then, I saw a bolt of lightning.

It was big. It was bright. It was not too far away.

Craaaaccckkkkk--BOOM

That was enough for me. I ran all the way home.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    I ran all the way home.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ehwD...eature=related

Sorry, continue with the story.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
      haha! one of my favorite movies!

When I was a kid we used to rent a house down in Store Harbor, NJ for a week every summer. It was 2 blocks from town and 8 blocks from the beach. One year when I was in high school, our usual house (owned by my cousin's in-laws) wasn't available, so they referred my parents to someone they knew with a house that was 2 blocks from the beach and 8 blocks from town. One evening us kids went to play miniature golf; the course started on the ground and wound up to rooftop level and back. While we were walking there, we saw some lighting but it was a ways out over the ocean. We got through about half the course (so were on roof level) before they announced that they had to close because the storm was getting too close (we got a free game to use another day). There was some thunder and lightning but it wasn't raining yet, so we decided we could make it back to the house. No, no we couldn't. Halfway there (no point in turning back) it started pouring. And we started running. The wind was against us, too. When we got to the house, we were dripping wet in the front and our backs were completely dry.

I love thunderstorms but I don't want to be outside during them.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I used to work at Jones Beach state park in NY. One day a squall line rolled in when I was out mowing in a parkway area. I was rather unhappy about it and considering heading off to shelter, somewhere... Then another worker rolled up in one of the trucks and I gladly hopped in.

Less than a minute later lightning struck roughly 40 feet away from where we were.

Thunder rumbles when it's distant. It crackles when it's closer.

When you're right next to it, it just goes *POP*. Loud.

Comment

we have a thunderstorm as i type. hopefully it should bring some relief.

i did play mini golf in a near storm once or twice. actually at the same place.. they never kicked us out. after leaving i drove into the storm. i saw the rain wall. that was the last thing i could see clearly til i got to work :/

Comment

close calls are nothing....I've been less then 3 feet from being struck 4 different times.

one fried the air conditioner fan unit outside my bedroom window...which jumped from the metal fence just a foot away from it.

2 different times, its hit trees outside my bedroom window....in 2 different houses.

and the last time, it struck the wall of my house, traveled through the phoneline, into my modem and turned my computer on....and fried the modem (back when I had dial up)
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

we just got hit with hail, that was crazy. last time we had hail? the tornado last summer. good flashbacks.

just rain and some thunder now, but will get hit again overnite

Comment

I heard the hail....crazy....hope it is cooler tomorrow
                "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                  I heard the hail....crazy....hope it is cooler tomorrow
                  its cooler outside.

i opened the front door. i wanted to go out and grab some fallen hail. that didnt work :/

maybe the next round haha

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                    close calls are nothing....I've been less then 3 feet from being struck 4 different times. one fried the air conditioner fan unit outside my bedroom window...which jumped from the metal fence just a foot away from it. 2 different times, its hit trees outside my bedroom window....in 2 different houses. and the last time, it struck the wall of my house, traveled through the phoneline, into my modem and turned my computer on....and fried the modem (back when I had dial up)
                    It's like it's been hunting you....and getting better at it.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                      When you're right next to it, it just goes *POP*. Loud.
                      The POP is you being blinded for a bit.

Believe me it still makes a lot of noise. More like POPCRACKFUCKINGBOOOOOMMOFO!

Comment

Don't you just love the smell of ozone in the morning?

Comment

Irv - four people were hit by lighting in the Lake District yesterday.
                          Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

FSM: "Dammit! Missed again!"
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Dammit, Irv.

It was supposed to storm Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Something to kill the humidity. I don't know whatever did kill it, but Tuesday night was slightly cooler than Monday and last night was pretty peachy, that low front somehow cut out the wet heat without a storm or rain.

Living in the "bubble" of Wisconsin really sucks. We get our own weather here....it stormed all over other parts of Wisconsin the beginning of the week, but not once here, not even a drop of rain.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X