This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
    Some are, I think. I find it sad when your bread feels the need to put "No high-fructose corn syrup" on the label...
    I know. I was just chatting on teamspeak with a friend in my eve online corp in Denmark and we were discussing how so many american foods have HFCS in it that they are like eating candy. I have a decent BBQ sauce that is mildly sweet but uses molassas for the sweet component. Too many new englanders seem to need the candied tomato sauce on perfectly cromulent ribs.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

It's in canned gravy. Canned gravy. Who in the Sam Hill puts syrup in gravy???

It drives me pretty nuts. It's in everything! It's in canned fruit! It's fruit! It's already sweet, for frick's sake!

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        It's in canned gravy. Canned gravy. Who in the Sam Hill puts syrup in gravy???

It drives me pretty nuts. It's in everything! It's in canned fruit! It's fruit! It's already sweet, for frick's sake!
        The Powers That Be have determined that the best ways to make factory food taste more appealing is sweet/salty/fatty. That is why you should really try to make as much from scratch as possible. I know that time and lack of training is what stops most people from giving it a try - and many people have totally inadequate kitchens =( with respect to food storage and equipment. I have actually worked with a number of friends teaching them how to cook, and it seems to help.

I just wish that they taught real nutrition, shopping and cooking from scratch in school - there are a lot of foods that are very easy to cook, proper nutrition and minimal ingredients. It may not be haute cuisine, but there is nothing wrong with good basic food. I lived for 3 years with a hot plate, toaster oven and cube refrigerator in a studio apartment. I managed +)
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Silly RC, that's why the smart people buy their canned fruit with Pear Juice instead of Syrup. Costs less for some reason too.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Yeah, chunked pineapple with juice only in the can, but that's not even all that easy to find. I don't buy a lot of dried or canned fruit for that reason.

It's just infuriating.

Comment

Here in the Land of BBQ, it's damn near impossible to BBQ sauce in the store that doesn't have HFCS. Luckily, a lot of the stores stock Gates sauce (Gates is a KC bbq joint). The restaurant is over-rated, but the sauce is pretty good and HFCS-free.
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
              X