This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayers needed :(

My mom was set to leave the country to go visit my sister/other family in Guatemala today. I don't have t.v. and I've been kind of out of it today with pain meds so I didn't catch any news postings until AFTER she told me about it.

Her flight got canceled, which is a plus, but...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ations/?hpt=T2

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100528/...temala_volcano

My sister lives right outside of the affected area, closer to the capital. The good thing is that she hasn't been bothered by lava flow but the shitty thing is her house is under two feet of ash/sand and alone with my four year old niece. Her husband was away on business at the other end of the country and can't get back home. She's basically trapped in her house until help can get there -- and who knows when that may be.

As far as I understand they can still make phone calls as of earlier today but the line was rather broken up so we don't know much.

"The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Yikes! I didn't see/hear much news today; hadn't heard of this! I hope your family is OK.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I had heard about the volcano eruption this afternoon. She's trapped in the house??
      Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

From what my mom explained, yes, my sister and niece are trapped in their house. They only have a van which my BIL used for this trip. And its not like they can waltz on out to go hang out with neighbors because the air quality is so bad.
        "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Keep a wet face mask handy. Lots of people got sick in Alaska because they didn't keep their lungs semi clear of the ash.

Comment

Doesn't ash eventually take on the qualities of cement? Shouldn't she maybe be digging or something? This is awful!

*Sending good vibes South.*
            Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Man... I hope everything turns out well for your family.
              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
              X