This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay, water &%@!

We just had a huge-ass downpour go through...and I finally found out what's under the squares of plywood set into the basement floor.

Uncapped pipes. Not sewage, thankfully.

Our downstairs neighbor knocked on the back door about 5 minutes ago, saying "you gotta see the flood in the basement!" I knew that water has been known to come in under the door to the outside, but this was worse. Yes, it was coming through the door, but...

The trash room (it has a 2-inch threshold so the water was contained) had about an inch of water on the floor and one of the plywood squares was askew. She said that it was literally spewing water five minutes before...it was now silent, but very backed up.

A second plywood square in a 'hallway' leading to a couple of the storage units down there was newly disturbed. Our two units are on the other side, near the boiler room, but there is also a plywood square and an outside entrance on that side--I'm just about to go down (with shoes this time) and check on ours. The neighbor already called maintenance and will let me know if the water needs to be shut off to fix this.

(who would use plywood to cap off water pipes?)
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

OMG

That's just insane!
    Make a list of important things to do today.
    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I suspect the source of the backup was a drain in the walkway out back; that thing always clogs during a heavy rain (why it isn't linked to the storm drains on the street I have no idea). The trash room is the lowest point in the basement I'm pretty sure.

As of 10 PM last night there wasn't any water in the trash room and the drain was clear, so they probably did something. Even so, why is there an improperly capped pipe down there? It's not like they need to worry about aesthetics in the basement.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Perhaps the pipe is intended to be a drain pipe. When the main line clogged up water backed up in to the other drains.

Steve B.

Comment

Working...
        X