This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that TV show or book.

Or in other words help me find something that I've been trying to remember the name of for years.

First
    Book: science fiction, Novel, written before 2003 but from the 90s probably. Might have alien in the title.
    Takes place modern day (for the time), aliens come to earth first contact situation. the aliens have 4 arms, 4 legs, 2 faces, and so on, their blood crystalizes and are very allergic to lead. There's only about half a dozen of them total and one died on the trip.

spoilers:
    one of the people working with the aliens as a liasion gets killed by a tool blonging to the aliens, (super duper fine wire for cutting meat), it turns out that the aliens believe that everything that happens is god's will so they do not have trials or anything like that. The accused alien is however put on trial and it comes out that the previously dead alien is not dead but in fact her and one other faked it while the rest of the aliens were in suspended animation as they wanted to stop the human race from being wiped out by the other aliens. the aliens due to their trinary star system will spend centuries hibernating without a choice and because of the fear of being killed in their sleep will kill other races unless they turn out to be perfect beings. the human was killed because he figured out the other alien was alive and the one who killed him cut his leg off to prevent him from going anywhere to tell others and the one who killed him didn't know it would be fatal.

Second

Tv Show: again science fiction takes place on space station or ship (I think station though) live action
    leader guy is involved with some sort of dipomatic action/meeting with leader from anopther race, he was supposed to present a gift to the leader but forgot/didn't know so he gave the alien his lucky silver dollar which ends up buring the alien's skin. The alien is humanoid but is slimy like a frog skin. The alien takes it as an insult and they have to duel to the death with these staff weapons. The human trains in the fighting style and is given the advice to flow/move like water, to which comic relief guy replies just don't pee your pants. they fight and human wins but spares alien, alien's aid gets annoyed to which the human responds by handing the staff to the aid and saying well then you kill him and walks away while the alien gets up and gives his aid holding the staff an angry look while the aid is confused. I remember the characters with american accents but could be wrong.

The tv show is not: Babylon5, any star trek, any stargate, andromeda, new battlestar.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Illegal Alien by Robert J. Sawyer?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

"Illegal Alien" is correct for the book.

I believe the TV show may be "Space Precinct", but I may be wrong. I'll research it.

Comment

Yay! I don't even read science fiction!

(Looong time workin' in the bookstore )
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That looks like the book but I can't confirm 100% until I get my hands on a copy.

As for the show I can't rule it out, I'll see if it's available online legally at all.

Either way thanks.

Comment

Nope! TV show was "Space Rangers". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Rangers_(TV_series)
            Last edited by TheSHAD0W; 06-08-2010, 02:22 AM. Reason: correcting url

Comment

space rangers is the show, the episode I saw was the last episode of the series.

Comment

Working...
              X