This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Cell Phone Saga

So, I had to make an adjustment to my cell phone plan to accommodate a certain friend who insists on communicating pretty much only via text message. That resulted in an $80 overage charge that I would prefer to avoid. I also decided to get a new phone since I hadn't upgraded since 2007 and my old Razr was thoroughly beat up and worn out, and had just gone through another battery.

I ended up getting an LG Rumor 2. It's actually an overall downgrade from the Razr, but it's free after rebate and has a full keyboard. Besides, I never really used any of the features on my Razr that I no longer have (like the camcorder), and for most of that I have my iPod touch anyway.

The upgrade went well, and as it turns out they now transfer your contacts automatically, so I was spared the chore of re-entering them.

Then I got home and put the micro SC card from my old phone into the new one. Now a problem cropped up. Every time I typed a key anywhere near the card slot, it would pop up a dialogue box warning me that "Memory card has been removed" then "Memory card has been inserted." And I'd have to clear that message or wait two seconds to resume typing.

Obviously a defect, so two days later I brought it back to the store. This time the store was slammed and I had to wait 30 minutes in the queue to get my phone swapped out. Thankfully, they did this without any objection, and I left with a new phone that did not go berserk with an SD card in it.

Then I got to work and discovered that my phone would not make or receive calls or messages. Guess what? They forgot to activate it, and I didn't think to check!

*Sigh* Cue wasting my entire dinner break playing phone tag (I'm not technically the account holder, so I had to get the password from home). The Sprint phone rep agreed to remotely activate my phone, but that didn't work, so they had to give me a secret code to access a manual activation menu on my phone, type in some info, and finally it worked.

Ah but the fun doesn't end there.

Yesterday, I reached for the thing while lying in bed and managed to drop it right on my teeth. Ow.

Then last night, I reached into my pocket and came up with the cap for a permanent marker that was in there....in the same pocket as my phone. Sure enough, I pulled the phone out and there were black ink smudges on the protective case and on the phone itself.

So all in all, a comedy of errors. Hopefully this doesn't continue much longer.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.
Working...
X