This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend Passed Away

Kind of need a place to vent a little about this. I got very sad news last week when I was told that an old friend of mine had passed away due to complications with diabetes. He was only 24.

The two of us had known each other since we were ten, we attended the same school and were in the same classes for pretty much everything. We got on well, however, when we finished school, we completely drifted apart. We went to different colleges in different areas, and simply lost contact.

When I moved home last year, I ran into him a few times. He was a regular customer at the pub, he was actually friends with several of the staff. Every time we would see each other, we would always say "Let's catch up real soon!"

Unfortunately that is not going to happen now

When I found out, my reaction was something along the lines of "Woah" and that was it. As the days went on, I thought about it more and more. I was getting calls from other old friends who I hadn't spoken to in a while, they were asking if the rumours about him passing away were true. Speaking to old friends really made it start to sink in.

The funeral was today, it was a massive turnout, and I feel a mixture of sadness and guilt. I feel guilty that we never did "catch up"

Take my advice guys, never put off catching up with an old friend. You never know how long you have. He was only 24. He should still be here today.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. It might help if you wrote a letter to him about how you feel.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

It's hard. And to use an overly said expression, I know how you feel. And yes, I DO know how you feel.

If you ever want to know that story, PM me.

At any rate, I'm sorry to hear your friend died before you guys could get reacquainted. It's never easy.
      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

So sorry for your loss, CRML.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm one of the other ones who know exactly how hard that is. PM me if you need to talk.
          http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
          Now appearing in comic form!

Comment

I am so sorry. =( *huuuuuug*

Comment

Sorry for your loss, crml.

A friend of mine that I "grew up with" (pretty much from my earliest memories, until nearly age 11 when we moved away) took his own life in 1981 at age 22.

I felt bad too, because about 17 years previous, I ended up moving back within about 5 miles, and the last three, maybe about a mile.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you might try to offer his parents some emotional support. Some of my friend's other friends and myself did just that, and it seemed to be of great help to his parents, especially his Mom.

As happens, people drifted apart in that case as well, but I think in the initial healing time, it can be very comforting.

Mike
              Meow.........

Comment

Thanks for the support everyone I feel much better today. When I wrote the thread I was just fresh out the funeral, and was feeling unbelieveably drained and dazed.

My friends and I are planning on holding a little ceremony of our own at the beach in a couple of weeks. We're getting some floating laterns, and each of us are going to put our own personal message to him in them. Maybe that will help us in some way

Comment

Definitely good advice CRML. So sorry though for your loss and your friends family.
                  Make a list of important things to do today.
                  At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                  Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss.

*hugs*
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                    X