This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm wondering if I have allergies...

Besides the constant sniffling and dry eyes and runny nose (which has been going on since October) I've found that while working on the pine trees at the new house every time I get picked/poked/scratched by a branch or twig I get an angry bump/welt. They don't itch, but it looks like hives almost. I know you can have pine allergies, but they don't make me sneeze or get stuffy, just...bumpy. I believe the two that give me problems are spruce trees. Any ideas?
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Could be...the skin reaction could be something like contact dermatitis, if it only happens when you get scratched by specific types of trees. Could be the oils or something irritating your skin.

Sniffling, etc. could also be something like nonallergic rhinitis, especially if it's been going on through 3 seasons. (Unless you've got year-round plants in your house that you're allergic to. Most pollen allergies are seasonal, since different plants bloom at different times of the year. Of course, that could also depend on where you live.)
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      Sniffling, etc. could also be something like nonallergic rhinitis, especially if it's been going on through 3 seasons.

Wow. It really sounds like Nonallergic rhinitis; I have everything, and like it says I don't get any relief from oral antihistamines. I tell you, sometimes I can't sleep because my nose is constantly running down the back of my throat! I'm going to try some nasal wash and see how that works; one of those Neti Pots. And I'll mention that to my Dr next time I see him.

Thanks so much! I might have a chance to feel better now!

PS. I was looking up nasal sprays, and on one the warning is "Harmful if inhaled or swallowed" Ummm... it goes in your nose.
      Last edited by LillFilly; 06-20-2010, 07:05 PM.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        PS. I was looking up nasal sprays, and on one the warning is "Harmful if inhaled or swallowed" Ummm... it goes in your nose.
        Hmm..interesting...

Be careful with decongestant sprays. If you use them for too long they just make things worse, because they cause rebound congestion (they usually say not to use for more than a few days at a time). Trust me, I was addicted to the stuff for years (for some, it's heroin...for me, it's Afrin...)! I just use non-medicated saline spray now. It helps, especially in the winter when it's dry, but I don't need it every night like I did with the decongestants. I used to get so stuffy I couldn't sleep without it.
        Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-20-2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I get the same welts when around fir trees. Antihistamines like Benadryl help.
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

I love my neti pot, I used to get terrible sinus infections about once a month but I started using one last fall and I have only had 1 sinus infection since then and it was fairly mild. Though I will fully admit that it took some getting used to and I was really grossed out by what was washed out the first time (then again I did have a sinus infection so your first time might be better than mine).

Comment

If it responds to an antihistamine, it's a true allergy.

If not, it's a dermatitis, or a rhinitis, or a sensitivity, or a toxin overload, or a ....

Regardless of what exactly it is, it's something that can probably be treated, so see a doctor, pharmacist, or nurse practitioner.

Pharmacists and nurse practitioners can often determine whether something is a simple fix, or something more serious and complicated. Those of you for whom a doctor visit is expensive and/or difficult may want to make a habit of dropping into a pharmacy and having a quick chat to the pharmacist for the simple (and non-health-critical!) things. (Don't skip taking a case of pneumonia to the ER!)
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Trust me, I was addicted to the stuff for years (for some, it's heroin...for me, it's Afrin...)!
                How did you stop? My daughter has the same problem and I'd like to tell her someone else managed to stop. Did you taper it off or did you just go cold turkey? How long did it take before you could breathe through the nose again without spray?

Personally I just use a teaspoon of salt in half a glass of water and pour it in the nose with the teaspoon

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                  How did you stop? My daughter has the same problem and I'd like to tell her someone else managed to stop. Did you taper it off or did you just go cold turkey? How long did it take before you could breathe through the nose again without spray?
                  I tried a number of times and always went back. (Really, it's like crack! Or maybe more like snorting coke...) Not sure why I finally managed to stop. It was several years ago. I switched to using the saline spray and it helped some with stuffiness, but I think it also helped because I was in the habit of using it at bedtime and in the morning, so using that let me get over the rebound effect from the decongestant without having to give up the habit of using the spray. Once I got past the rebound effect I didn't need the spray itself so much after a while. Not sure how long it took. A few weeks, maybe.

The other plus is saline spray is a lot cheaper than the medicated stuff!

Comment

Working...
                  X