Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any iother good sequel movies?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any iother good sequel movies?

I've been thinking recently that it is a very rare occurrence where a sequel is as good as, or better than, the first especially when it isn't part of an overall story (like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.. where the "sequel" is more like a deliberate bridge movie between #1 and #3). The sequel needs to stand on their own and you can watch it and it'll still make full sense.

This is what I've come up with:

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan. While this movie starts a story (that spans this movie, The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home), it is irrelevant to the first movie and can easily stand on it's own.

Aliens - again, it can stand on it's own. While the first one was an incredible suspense film, this one was an incredible action film.

Evil Dead II. Do I really need to get into the fact that the first one re-defined B-rated movies and was so bad they just re-did the whole story?

Terminator II - would this one actually count? It is a bridge movie between 1 and 3 but it can also stand on it's own. The original Terminator was a great movie but II just passed it in many ways.

Thoughts? Am I missing any?
    Last edited by draggar; 06-22-2010, 10:24 PM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Back to the Future.
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
      Back to the Future.
      OK, I'll give this as one of the best trilogies but do you really think 2 was better than 1?

Plus, they blatantly let you know #2 was going to happen at the end of #1 and the same with #3 in #2.

But in all honesty, #3 was better than #2 in my book.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Shrek
        Toy Story
        Spiderman (I thought 2 was better)
        Die Hard
        Make a list of important things to do today.
        At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
        Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

boondock saints 2. i'm not gonna say it's better than the first (that would be blasphemy), but it's pretty good. and you don't really need to see the first one to understand the second one.

Quoth r2cagle View Post
          Spiderman (I thought 2 was better)
          maybe, but 3 was rubbish
          If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
          ^_^

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            OK, I'll give this as one of the best trilogies but do you really think 2 was better than 1?

Plus, they blatantly let you know #2 was going to happen at the end of #1 and the same with #3 in #2.

But in all honesty, #3 was better than #2 in my book.
            Nope, didn't really like 2, either. But it was the only other set of movies I could think of.
            Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
              maybe, but 3 was rubbish
              I'll concede Spiderman III was a pretty bad, but for the audience they were trying to reach, I & II were decent.
              Make a list of important things to do today.
              At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
              Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Superman II

Major Leagues II

The second Bill & Ted Movie

Comment

I'm inclined to add Iron Man 2

It could be seen without the first and you'd know whats happening.
                  "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                  Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                    I'm inclined to add Iron Man 2

It could be seen without the first and you'd know whats happening.
                    I'd agree with you.

The only major difference between films #1 and #2 is the recasting of Lieutentant Colonel James Rhodes.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

DARK KNIGHT
                      Military Spouse Support.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                        Am I missing any?
                        Young Guns II. Possibly better than the original. They never made a third.

[QUOTE=draggar;743544]Terminator II - would this one actually count? It is a bridge movie between 1 and 3 but it can also stand on it's own. /quote]

I would hardly call it a bridge movie since, when they made it, they had no idea if they were going to make 3 and 3 actually didn't get made until many, many years later. Bridge movies to me are ones that move the plot along from the 1 to 3, but T2 doesn't do that, since they had no idea what the plot of 3 would be. 3 builds on 2, but 2 is not a bridge movie between 1 and 3. It can stand alone, sure, but it takes the info from 1 and builds on it, just as 3 builds on 2.

4 was a prequel....and a disaster compared to 1, 2, or 3.

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                        Die Hard
                        I actually thought DH2 was weaker than DH1 (though still excellent), and paled next to DH3 or DH4.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

All of the Austin Powers movies were good. The sequels weren't better, but were at least as good as the first. I seem to recall that all the Naked Gun movies were equally good too.
                          Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

The sequel that was actually better than the original movie is "The Godfather:Part 2"

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                              Shrek
                              Wow, Shrek 2 is the reason I won't see 3 or 4, I hated #2.

Quoth Pony_Boy View Post
                              Major Leagues II
                              2 wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it better than the original.

I personally would never have made that movie.

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                              The sequel that was actually better than the original movie is "The Godfather:Part 2"
                              True. But it takes a few watches to realize that it really is better than #1, to me anyway.

Reading the book made me enjoy both movies even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X