This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing how one changes...

When I was younger, I LOVED Summer, the heat, the humidity.....there was nothing about Summer I hated.....I hated Winter, the cold, the snow, the holiday crowds (I was in retail) and the blues.

Now, since I have been out of retail and hiking, I love the colder weather, it's only been hot* for a few days now, and I hate it! lol. I was wilting during my lunchwalk, and during my after work hike, the bugs made it rather non enjoyable.

*and it's not overly hot either....upper 80s, I know it's worse elsewhere. Ugh, I may have to turn on the AC soon
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

I was just remarking on this to my coworkers today... when we're kids, the heat doesn't really bother us much, and we just love to run around and play so much, we don't pay attention to it.

As an adult, if the temperature goes much over 80, I'm miserable and uncomfortable and unhappy. Part of that has to do with being overweight (I'm much better insulated than the average joe, so adding extreme heat to my already warm body.... yuck), but I think a lot of adults sort of get that way at one point.
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
      I was just remarking on this to my coworkers today... when we're kids, the heat doesn't really bother us much, and we just love to run around and play so much, we don't pay attention to it.

As an adult, if the temperature goes much over 80, I'm miserable and uncomfortable and unhappy. Part of that has to do with being overweight (I'm much better insulated than the average joe, so adding extreme heat to my already warm body.... yuck), but I think a lot of adults sort of get that way at one point.
      I didn't think of it that way, now I feel old, lol (j/k...I'm not old...just 32)

Still craving cooler temps,. though
      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Add in peri-menopausal hot flashes. I don't know how I've managed to survive so far this summer. It's been bad.
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
          Add in peri-menopausal hot flashes. I don't know how I've managed to survive so far this summer. It's been bad.
          Lots of air conditioning.

The sucky part is hving a hot flash, and feeling like someone is roasting you on the inside, but the sweat is freezing your skin so you are sitting there shivering. You would love to wrap in a blanket, but you are roasting on the inside - so it is a case of sucks if you do sucks if you dont =(
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I think that, as children attending normally scheduled public school for the most part, the weather wasn't as important as the fact that summer was the only really decent amount of time we had to ourselves. Now that we don't get months off at a time (Well I guess there's unemployment) our seasonal preferences are less swayed by coincidental qualities such as summer vacation and focus more on the qualities of the seasons themselves.

Comment

80s? Hey, that's spring time weather!

I could deal with the 100+ days of heat when I lived in Central Texas. Now that I'm on the coast, I cannot stand 90s with 10000% humidity. I seriously cannot live here long term.

Comment

Working...
              X