This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Who series 5 finale--thoughts?

I just watched it an hour ago, and HOLY CRAP!!! I haven't enjoyed a finale that much since series 3!!!

Mr. Moffat, I tip my fez to you: you are awesome.

Also, if I ever get married, there WILL be a TARDIS involved.

I really enjoyed it. It was good to finally have a finale that didn't involve Russell T Davis doing a reset at the end of it.

I'm looking forward to findingout what river's story is. And I also like the fact that we now have 2 companions. When there is only one, the trends tend to become a bit predictable in that they have got to include an unrequited love and so on.

One thing that did confuse me was that the promo shots all featured the display dalek looking like it was made of stone so I was expecting the weepng angels to feature. And another thing, if the sonic screwdriver could open the pandorica so easily, why didnt the Dr open it earlier instead of just rubbing it and saying "what are you?"
    Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

Once he'd seen it open, and (spoiler event/found out who it was made for), he had enough information to determine the appropriate setting on the screwdriver.

Until then, he didn't.

That's my theory.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

i don't have bbca so i have to get my whofix online. and i just watched it
        and i squeed. i squeed alot
        i love that finale
        i love the fact that rory's part of the team and
        i can't wait for the next special! it had better be before christmas because i don't think i'll be able to wait that long.
        i wasn't sure about matt smith playing 11, but he's a pretty good fit. amy's brilliant and rory's adorable.
        holy beans i love doctor who.

squeeeee!!!

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Once he'd seen it open, and (spoiler event/found out who it was made for), he had enough information to determine the appropriate setting on the screwdriver.

Until then, he didn't.

That's my theory.
        i agree. it makes the most sense

Quoth NiennasMaid View Post
        Also, if I ever get married, there WILL be a TARDIS involved.
        i'm getting hitched this winter...i wonder if i could find a tardis garter or something
        If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
        ^_^

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
          i don't have bbca so i have to get my whofix online. and i just watched it
          and i squeed. i squeed alot
          i love that finale
          i love the fact that rory's part of the team and
          i can't wait for the next special! it had better be before christmas because i don't think i'll be able to wait that long.
          i wasn't sure about matt smith playing 11, but he's a pretty good fit. amy's brilliant and rory's adorable.
          holy beans i love doctor who.

squeeeee!!!
          That was pretty much my response: non-stop squee, except for moments of "HOLY CRAP RUN!!!!!" I've liked Matt Smith from the beginning, and was glad to see him finish the season strong. That moment with him talking to young Amelia while she sleeps? Total sobfest for me!

And the funny thing is, when River Song first came along in series 4, I HATED her. A LOT.

But now...well, now she's actually a lot of fun. And a total badass: what the hell did she DO to that Dalek???

Comment

It was a belter of a climax. Matt Smith was great, especially at the end when he was saying goodbye. And Amy remembering at the wedding was awesome.

One thing niggled at me:
            The Doctor escaped because he went back in time and gave Rory the sonic screwdriver so he could escape and so go back in time...

But it is great that not everything is resolved. And that there is not just one companion in the TARDIS.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

frustration of frustrations i have
              not
              seen
              any of the new dr who
              season five since it came out....and as early present we just got seasons 1-3
              this is ok i will watch those until season 5 come to dvd....

Comment

Quoth LexiaFira View Post
                frustration of frustrations i have
                not
                seen
                any of the new dr who
                season five since it came out....and as early present we just got seasons 1-3
                this is ok i will watch those until season 5 come to dvd....
                *cough*
                problem solved ^_^
                also, this site is very. very. very. addicting. i've stayed up till 2, 3 in the morning watching old episodes. it's like crack. it also has all the specials, just not in order with the episodes so this link should come in handy for making sure everything's in order.

^_^

Comment

Okay, so I don't know about anyone else, but I LOVE Rory to bits. I nearly stopped watching after he was killed but then he popped back up as a Roman...

And I never wanted him to get out of that Roman costume.

But overall, having more than one companion (on a permanent basis) reminds me of old Who. I wish they would do more TARDIS-based stories. That could be fun.

Loved the finale. Loved that there wasn't a reboot of any kind. LOVE Moffat. LOOOOOOVE.

Comment

*cough*
                    problem solved ^_^
                    also, this site is very. very. very. addicting. i've stayed up till 2, 3 in the morning watching old episodes. it's like crack. it also has all the specials, just not in order with the episodes so this link should come in handy for making sure everything's in order.
                    *bookmarks site*

Oh, you are an evil, evil woman!

Thank you!
                    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                    --StanFlouride

Comment

*cough*
                      problem solved ^_^
                      I have used that site to DEATH with the older series (eg. Dr 1 and 2 as most of those episodes were just not there then the local PBS station was showing them 25 years ago). my collection of the "old" series is almost complete. now I have to just dub my VCR tapes to DVD and I will be a happy camper.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                        *bookmarks site*

Oh, you are an evil, evil woman!

Thank you!
                        i keep telling people this, and they don't believe me!

^_^

Comment

thank you thank you thank youuuu

Comment

I thought it was wonderfully well-done. The fact that they didn't do a full reset of the universe made me happy.

I really liked all the old enemies coming out of the woodwork to trap him. Never saw that coming.

Eric the Grey
                            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I did not comment on this thread when it first appeared because, at the time, I had still not seen the finale. Remember, us Americans are a bit behind time-wise on ya Brits when it comes to Doctor Who.

And after I saw it, I forgot about this thread, because, well, I was busy and shit.

In any case, my friend Photo Boy and I talked about the finale one night, as he is a fellow DW addict.

I liked it more than he did. He found Rory to be the equivalent of early Mickey Smith, i.e., the "mechanical dog." In PD's mind, pretty much useless and superfluous. I disagreed on that point.

I LOVE Amy Pond/Karen Gillan. He doesn't think much of her. Of course, I have a thing for redheads, so that makes him think that is why I worship her so. But that is only part of it. In actuality I find the character likeable, fun, and not one to be pushed around by anyone, even The Doctor, and I think Gillan plays that character well. (And oh yeah...she happens to be a hottie, too.)

One thing we both agreed on, and I will probably take some heat for this from y'all: The Doctor was Just. So. WHINY. when they locked him into the Pandorica. Practically in tears. Contrast this to the end of the Eleventh Hour, when he calls the Atraxi back and scolds them for threatening earth, in the end saying, "I'm The Doctor. Basically....run." And saying it in the quietest, creepiest, scariest, most authoritative way possible. That scene is one I play over on my DVR frequently. How does THIS Doctor, standing fully exposed to whatever weapons the Atraxi may try to use on him...this same Doctor, who did the same thing at Stone Henge to the gathered alien enemies of his....how does he sit there and WHINE and PLEAD with them about them not locking him in there? Really? Really? Sorry....it just bugged me.

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                              One thing niggled at me:
                              The Doctor escaped because he went back in time and gave Rory the sonic screwdriver so he could escape and so go back in time...
                              This bothered both me and PD as well. It is an illogical paradoxical loop. It is also not one of the finer examples of the show's writing.

All that being said, I am very much looking forward to more new Who! Any word on when we can expect more?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X