Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HALP! Attack of the Fruit Flies/Gnats!

Anyone have any suggestions for eliminating a fruit fly/gnat problem?

A friend suggested beer in a bowl with a touch of mineral oil to catch em. I tried that but they mostly sit on the rim of the bowl. Some killed, but they're reproducing.
    I found the source of the problem 2-3 days ago as I apparently left a couple peaches in a box and then buried them in the daily mail.
    I saw some fly traps at W-Mart that you add honey or syrup to.
    Haven't tried that yet.
    Any proven home remedy suggestions or other retail items would be greatly appreciated.

Fly paper works very well. Hang it up around where they congregate the most, and it'll catch the majority of them.

Comment

100% guaranteed to work - put some red wine in a glass (no, white doesn't work for some reason). Cover the glass with plastic wrap and use the tip of a sharp knife to poke holes in it (small holes!).

Leave it out on the counter. They will enter through the holes, and then drown in the wine, never finding their way back out!
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Ugh, I always get those things too! They're nasty. I've tried apple cider vinegar in a bowl, but like you said they just seem to sit on the rim and only a few ever drown. The only thing I can really advocate is to scrub all of your counters down with a little bleach and pour some bleach down the sinks, apparently that's where they lay eggs. It's worked pretty well for me
        !
        "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

No idea, but thanks to my neighbor across the hall, we are all going to be subjected to a walkthrough relatively soon.

I heard his apartment was beyond nasty. My brother has video footage.
          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Fly paper strips hung from the ceiling work really well. At our old place one of the tenants had a horrible apartment and as a result all the bugs migrated to everyone else's place.... anyway... we had a fruit fly problem... so I hung a strip up right by the fruit and it really helped.
            "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
            -Red

Comment

Also agree with the death by alcohol....
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                No idea, but thanks to my neighbor across the hall, we are all going to be subjected to a walkthrough relatively soon.
                Really? I thought it was only his apartment that was subjected to that.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Clean everthing with vinegar, before you run some down the drain put some bakeing soda down first, that way the bubbles will be sure to get any and all eggs. As for the ones flying about use the wine or whatnot in a glass/bowl/whatever and be sure to cover it with the plastic wrap and poke very small holes, that way they can get in but not out.

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                    Really? I thought it was only his apartment that was subjected to that.
                    His was the one infested, but because of him, we all have to suffer. But I might be wrong. Might have to talk to Paulonius about it.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                    X