This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Will Has New Car!!!

Monday morning, I will be the new owner of a 2009 Pontiac G6!

It's been a long time coming, but the time has come to get rid of my pile of crap car. I actually wanted to get a new one earlier this spring, but kept putting it off, hoping to squeeze a little more out of the car, but the way it runs when it's hot out, I knew the end was coming. There is too much wrong with that car to name, and I've spent more fixing it and maintaining it than I did to buy it, which is a big no no.

This is way out of my price range and way more fancy than I intended. I got greedy. I was happy with a Kia Spectra that was almost bare minimum except for cruise control and power windows/locks and AC......until we got to the dealership where my folks bought their G6.....and I got greedy and was sold. I had my dad along, in case anyone was worried I went alone and was going to be screwed over.

This dealership has a repuation, a very good one, of being very professional and taking all the time needed to find you a car that would suit you. I did drive two other cars at that dealership before finding the G6.

I'm a little nervous about the payments and the cost, but it was my Dad who said to go for it. Yes, Dad the human version of Mr Krabs, said to go for it. The way he put it was that I already bought an older used car with no strings attached but a loan, no protection and I had to pay for all my repairs......I could go with my original plan to by a car that was in the 2002-2005 range for the $10,000 or less range, but the chance of getting a bumper to bumper warranty or anything else to help me would be up in the air. Or, I could take a chance, go with something very new and a little pricier, but have a warranty that would last me almost the entire time I have the loan on the car, the motor-tran warranty that would last me 100,000 miles, a year of free oil changes and car washes, and other freebies like a year subscription to OnStar. The warranty would protect me from all those pesky stupid repairs that end up costing hundreds in labor and days and days in the shop. With this warranty, not only would it not cost me anything, and I'd also get a free rental car for while my car was being fixed. Compare that to the chances you'd be taking with another older used car, or a car that's just a little older, but probably at least 100,000 miles already and no guarantee of anything.

But I am so excited. I can't wait to figure out all the bells and whistles.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Congrats.

I love that new car smell.

Comment

I hate to rain on your parade but darlin if your nervous about the payments then the car is too expensive. You got car fever bad, can you still take a few nights to really think it over? Maybe go another year older? I mean really write down what a good sample budget would be for the month if the payments are going to make you not eat, it's not worth it.

I had car fever, I am paying for my car fever with only 200 bucks a month for food between me and the dogs. Let me tell ya, that doesn't cover a lot where I am. I wish I had gone for the car that had been just a couple months older and made it a year older then my car. The sucker would have been paid off right now. The only difference between the two? about 10k on the dash.

Comment

Congrats, blas!

Warranties are worth so much in peace of mind alone. I can't wait until I can replace the BP Valdez (my car leaks oil) and get something new or damn close to it.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Looks like a sweet ride to me. I can't wait to get a new car myself but I have a feeling that isn't happening any time soon.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I hate to have to say it, but I'm with Aethian. You might be committing to more than you can really afford.

When I got my Saturn, my dad took the exact opposite attitude from your dad. I had to be 101% sure I could make the monthly payments, not just "I think I can swing this." But fortunately the payments on the Saturn were only about $13 a month more than the payments for my old car.

Plus I got a decent warranty on the car, which may or may not still be in effect, but I never even needed to use it anyway.

A new car is nice, but not if it threatens your food budget and the roof over your head.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I can afford it. It's $215 a month. That's not horrible. That just means less impulse shopping or buying stupid things I really don't need, but buy just because I have extra cash.

Comment

I just hope you don't loose too much in depreciation. Thats why I look for 3 year old cars...someone else has taken car of the lion share of depreciation.

Anyhoo, if your sure you can do it and are sure your going to love the car....then Congrats. I hope it treats you well. Also...some of those extra monies? Throw them at the car and get rid of the loan faster...always nice to see that big number become smaller faster.

Comment

Congratulations!!! What color is it?
                  Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

It's silver

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      It's silver
                      oooo shiny! you realize you will have to post pics.....
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Congrats!
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Congrats on the new ride!!!
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Idk how to feel about it but it's yur money and responsibility

on one hand, Congrats on your new car

on the other seems cause it was a bit of a impulse buy it might be trouble for you. cool you can afford the payments, cool that its a new car. . . but

Pontiac has been discontinued as a vehicle line, so there is the possibility parts and so on maybe difficult later on, but i doubt that since it's made under GM and they pretty much use similar parts. But could be a good thing, Pontiac is no more. . . could be a collectors item, since the G6 was one of those cars that were designed to compete with the sporty coolness of the competition like the CivicSi. Take good care of it, ye never know
                            "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

I haven't put the pedal to the metal yet....probably won't. I just get up to 65-70 and set cruise. OMG cruise control!!!!!!!!!!!

I get 3 free months of Onstar and free minutes of OnStar's car phone service, and the dealership just sent me cookies about an hour ago

Freshly baked cookie, anyone?

It's really not that expensive. That was a steal for a car that's only a year old. My former coworker Michelle got her car (different car/dealership) almost brand new in 06, and pays over $300 a month for hers. Another coworker bought an 08 car with about 75k miles on it for $2,000 more than my car.

And they didn't get COOKIES.

Comment

Working...
                              X