X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know that some of you sew

Does anyone design? I need help!

I'm trying to make basically http://sensibility.com/show-and-tell...awstring-gown/. The catch is that the fabric I bought is an Indian-style embroidered cotton - it has a scalloped edge, so I can't really hem it, so I've changed the skirt slightly. It's also very thin, so I need to line the skirt. So I'm modifying the pattern to line the whole thing (I have a how-to-sew book that should give me enough for how to do the lining in general). I just need to design the lining. I intend to use the bodice pieces and cut out a second identical bodice.

What you can't see well in the pictures is that the skirt is gathered to the bodice in the back. Should my lining for the skirt just be basically the same as the skirt, and free-flowing on the inside, or should I shape it differently, possibly with the top of it the lining matching the bodice rather than the skirt? It's a very high waist, so I don't want to just use normal skirt tricks. My current plan is to cut out basically the regular skirt and join them at the waist but nowhere else.

And what's the verdict on using two different linings for the dress? I have some lining in my remnants bag that would give me enough to line the bodice, but not enough for the skirt. It's fine to use that and then get a similar one for the skirt, eh?

Thank you for this! I may have bitten off more than I can chew again. (I don't do baby steps.)

well mag it does have a waist you could be able to detach the skirt at the waist an cut/trim off what you dont need and re attach to 'hem' it but thats all i got.

Comment

I don't see why it would be a bad idea to have different linings on the bodice, especially if you can add a thick ribbon beneath the bust to hide the change in fabric.

I would make the lining of the skirt maybe a bit smaller and the outside skirt a bit fuller. Just a teeny bit. That way you can have a bit of movement from the skirt without it bulging at the sides if the lining is attached. Have you thought about maybe doubling the fabric over so you can't see the lining as well?
      "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post

And what's the verdict on using two different linings for the dress? I have some lining in my remnants bag that would give me enough to line the bodice, but not enough for the skirt. It's fine to use that and then get a similar one for the skirt, eh?

Thank you for this! I may have bitten off more than I can chew again. (I don't do baby steps.)
        I don't see a problem with the bodice lining and the skirt lining being different, *unless* somehow you can see that they are different due to the lightness of the outer shell fabric. The best ones I have seen have the lining being the neutral background color of the shell material.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

It's a very thin fabric. I stood in front of the East-facing window in the evening, I was going to turn on the light we had there. We're in a basement (so the windows are only half height), and my husband INSTANTLY agreed that it needed to be lined. I was considering self-lining the skirt, and using my cream lining for the bodice, but I might as well just pick up more lining fabric.

I was counting on the fact that there's lots of gathers at the waist to hide the change in fabrics, and I'll see about making the skirt a little bit smaller. The way to do that would be to have it the same size at the top (i.e. the waist) and then taper it in, right? (The skirt pieces are rectangles).

Comment

Working...
          X