This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Ducklings Attacked By Feral Cat!

At work we have a mother mallard that nests in one of our gardens; I think it's the same one each year. Well I was on patrol last night and heard her quacking frantically. I got closer and found a hungry wild tabby ravaging her nest. I shooed it off and it RAN with her flapping like a maniac behind it. I managed to gather the ducklings back in their nest but the cat had killed 3. I gathered-up the dead so the cat wouldn't be enticed to come back, and Mama came back and sat on her babies.

A few hours later I check on the nest and it's empty. I figured mama moved to a safer spot. Then I saw her waddling around the parking lot with a trail of babies following her...All except one that was floundering on the pavement like a penguin doing the belly slide. The cat must have broken a leg or something, so after I made sure it really couldn't walk I bundled it up and babysat it for the rest of my shift then brought it to a bird sanctuary on my way home. The person running the sanctuary said it actually looks like the poor baby might have internal injury(ies) and it will be 50/50 whether he makes it.

I'm pulling for you little guy!!!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

:\ sad to say this but.. you probably should have let the tabby kill it. Once a cat gets ahold of a bird, its as good as dead. My cat brings me 2-3 birds a week, proud as ever. He's mad at me now because I quit letting him out in the daytime (nights only, birds are in their nest). Hopefully your ducky gets better
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Poor duckies. I hope the little one is OK.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I got the call today. The baby duck didn't make it, the internal injuries were too much.

"If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Oh, how sad. How are the other little babies and Momma?
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
            I quit letting him out in the daytime (nights only, birds are in their nest).
            Ahhh yes nighttime, when the rabies carrying bats, raccoons, and skunks are out.....yes cats are now the number one domestic vector of rabies-due to contact with the aforementioned animals

the myth of the "outdoor cat"
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Morgan and Riley are 100% indoor kitties (I did want to leash train them, but I wasn't patient enough)

When I lived with my 'rents mu old cat Shadow killed anything her size and smaller )I won't derail with details....anyone wants to know can pm me)

Now, I have my cats live by the rule they can only kill if the critter is in the house....so far....the kill count is just insects, spiders, and 1 snake.

Poor duckies. I adore ducks......geese I cannot stand.....but I love ducks,
              "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
              "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                Ahhh yes nighttime, when the rabies carrying bats, raccoons, and skunks are out.....yes cats are now the number one domestic vector of rabies-due to contact with the aforementioned animals

the myth of the "outdoor cat"
                Stuff it. And I live in the middle of the metro, bats only come out ten minutes south of here, raccoons wouldn't survive the four lane "street" that circles my house and ...skunks? There are no skunks on our property. Every single one of those things, sans eating antifreeze, can happen to ME by going outside.
                Last edited by Whiskey; 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM.
                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Working...
                X