This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite cover songs

I got into a discussion with a friend the other day about how the cover versions of some songs are as good or better then the original I thought it would be a fun topic to discuss here.

Some examples that jump to my mind are:

Chris Cornell's cover of Billie Jean
    Metalica's cover of Turn the page
    Johnny Cash's covers of Hurt and Personal Jesus

Save Ferris's cover of Come on Eileen
    Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal
    They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

Blue Cheer's cover of the Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
      Jimi Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's All Along The Watchtower
      Gideon Freudmann's cover of Somewhere Over The Rainbow - the haunted house version on a demented cello
      Dee Carstensen's cover of Jimi Hendrix's Angel - on a harp

and a few hundred others.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

HIM's version of "Wicked Games" is way better than the original. Less whiney and creepy.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I like Elvis Costello just fine, but Duran Duran's version of "Watching the Detectives" is waaaay better than his. Much sexier and creepier. The same for their cover of Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay"; I like his version but theirs is sexy as Hell.

And Seu George's covers of David Bowie songs (acoustic, in Porteugese- I know I spelled that wrong) are amazing!

Oh, and Johnny Cash's "Hurt". Even dead, Cash > Nine Inch Nails.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Almost anybody's cover of Dylan, His voice makes me want to kill things.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              HIM's version of "Wicked Games" is way better than the original. Less whiney and creepy.
              THIS!! X100

Also, HIM does a pretty good cover of Enjoy the Silence and Don't Fear the Reaper.

I like My Chemical Romance & The Used's cover of Queen/David Bowie Under Pressure

Seether did a kickass cover of Careless Whisper. LOVE it.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                Gideon Freudmann's cover of Somewhere Over The Rainbow - the haunted house version on a demented cello
                Have you ever heard Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version, mixed/fused with "It's a Wonderful World"? Hauntingly beautiful.

Other covers:
                - Tom Jones and the Art of Noise' version of Prince's "Kiss".
                - The Pursuit of Happiness' version of Prince's "When Doves Cry" (pretty much a straight, guitar-driven rock version of the song)
                - Hellsong's version of Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss" (makes it sound like a McLaughlan song)
                - Franz Ferdinand's version of Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For?"
                - Disturbed's version of Tears For Fears' "Shout" and Genesis "Land of Confusion"
                - Koritni's version of "I Had The Time of My Life"
                - Me First and the Gimme Gimme's "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina"
                - Damone's version of Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years" and GnR's "You Could Be Mine" (if Axl could sing, this is what he'd sound like).

There's probably more...

"Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Sisters of Mercy's version of "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones.

I like listening to the Coverville podcast. Some great stuff on there.
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Dropkick Murphys- Fields of Athenry (does it count if it is a traditional? I'm throwing it out there because they did a rather different style on it)
                    Roy Orbison - I Drove All Night
                    Wine and Alchemy - Miserlou
                    Metallica-Whiskey In The Jar
                    Johnny Cash- Hurt
                    I heard a bluegrass version of Sing, Sing, Sing and I don't know the band. Wish I did.
                    Also heard a techno version of Rocky Top, same deal.
                    Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks - Needles and Pins
                    Joan Jett and the Blackhearts -Crimson and Clover

Comment

Came across a couple more...

I have a CD where Heart does a kick-ass version of Zeppelin's "Black Dog".

I also found a CD that has The Flaming Lips doing Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head".

I don't like Nickelback, but I do like their version of Elton John's "Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting".

EDIT: forgot to add Korn's "Word Up", originally by Cameo.
                      Last edited by El Pollo Guerrera; 07-10-2010, 08:05 AM.
                      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Rammstein covering Stripped originally by depeche mode

I prefer the bass baritone of Til Lindemann, it is more sensual. The original is too light and 80s pop-y to me.

Sorry for the crappy video quality, sometimes you get lucky and get a good vid on youtube and sometimes it sucks =(
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                          I AGREE

Doug Anthony All-Stars version of Throw Your Arms Around Me (original version was Crowded House)
                          The Corrs did an excellent version of Everybody Hurts
                          There's also a version of Numb by Linkin Park that sounds like it's from Evanescence but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Link for the Numb/Evanescence Cover: (the video is from Call Me When you're Sober)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7gvOw91wjc

Link for the Everybody Hurts song:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkp-U36c_wo
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

New Found Glory's cover of "Kiss Me."
                            Shades Apart's cover of "Tainted Love."
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

How could I forget Helmet's cover of the theme from Gigantor and the Ramones covering Spiderman?

Comment

Working...
                              X