This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusing to close an account

You subscribe to a service that is based on a monthly subscription - say your internet bill. However, times are tough and you've fallen behind. So you decide to cancel your account.

Can the company keep your account open (and thus keep billing you) until you've paid off the full balance?

If when you signed up for the service you signed a contract for X amount of time, they may be able to keep billing you. (For instance, I get my internet for a cheaper rate for the first year by signing a contract saying I'd subscribe for at least a year.) However, even if that's the case, some companies will let you back out of the contract early for a set fee. The fee may be less than you'd pay to continue the service to its full term. Look into this.

If you owe them money at the point where you cancel, then yes I'm pretty sure they can keep billing you for it until it is either paid or sent to collections.

Comment

IANAL, but once you have requested the account be closed, I think you could fight any charges accrued beyond that point. If you are having issues, make sure to get the name and any kind of company identifier of people you talk to and, if necessary, put it in writing.

Obviously, you are responsible for charges before you requested termination of the account and usage charges (say, if it's TV or something and you order a movie) after that time, but once you request termination of service, they shouldn't continue to charge you for further services. Do what you have to do to fight it.
      I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Do you have a copy of this company's terms of service/payment? Can you get a copy?

I had the same issue with AOL. For six months I fought with them to cancel my account. Finally, I stopped paying them. They agreed to close my account. And I did not pay them the balance. Screw them.
        Make a list of important things to do today.
        At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
        Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I'm nearly certain they're not allowed to make you keep subscribing to the service, unless you signed an agreement to subscribe for x amount of time, but they can still bill you for the charges you've already accrued.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

If it's in your agreement, they can also bill you for interest or late fees.

So ... no new charges other than late fees/interest; but yes existing charges and associated fees can still be billed.

In some circumstances, it's worth t to take out a loan/credit card/whatever, and pay the account out, and then pay out the loan/card at a lower interest rate.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My phone service is for a set period of time. If I want to cancel, I pay an early cancellation fee, per our agreement. When I had cable TV it was month-to-month, so if we requested cancellation, they had to abide. The problem occurs when some companies wheedle you to continue service. You keep saying no and they keep making offers, until you have to be rude in order to shut them up. AOL comes to mind. oy
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
              X