This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New furniture today. Rude surprise?

I've known for a while that we're had some new furniture on order. We're getting a new sofa and two chairs to replace our two old sofas that we've had since before I was born (they were reupholstered 15 years ago but are now totally worn out).

The delivery guys are gonna be here any time now, and until a few minutes ago I was looking forward to this because those old couches really were past their prime so this is gonna spruce up- the living room quite a bit, not to mention be a lot more comfy.

Except for one thing.

I was just downstairs grabbing something to drink when my father warned me that when I see the new chairs, I'm going to be positively outraged. As in (in his words) "THAT'S what you're spending my inheritance on?!" outraged.

I hope he's exaggerating....
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
    I was just downstairs grabbing something to drink when my father warned me that when I see the new chairs, I'm going to be positively outraged. As in (in his words) "THAT'S what you're spending my inheritance on?!" outraged.

I hope he's exaggerating....
    What the hell is an inheritance?

I guess since we don't have much money, I don't have to worry about my mom wasting money on stuff we definitely don't need.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Keep us updated, though i am confused. How would furniture cause you to be outraged?!

Comment

Is he just predicting that you'll hate the style?
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My grandmother, for ages, didn't want to buy new curtains because 'she was old, and she didn't want to waste her children's inheritance on something she'd only use for a few years'.

It took something like five years for her daughters to convince her to buy them. And gee, you know, it barely touched their inheritance. (The bulk of which was the sale of the land her home was on.)

Nan loved them once she had them, too.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

As my Mom likes to say, "Being of sound mind, I spent it all!"

It's her money to spend as she pleases. I do not expect to inherit anything. And as long as she is reasonable with her money, if she needs anything for emergencies, I will help her out as best I can.
            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Apparently the though I'd hate the furniture. In actuality, while it is somewhat plain looking, it's not bad at all. Honestly I dont' know what the issue was.
              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

It's expensive, and "spent your inheritance" was "spent all the money that would have been your inheritance" rather than "spent a portion of your inheritance"?

Comment

You're dad's weird. Accept it. (One of the philosophies I live by.)
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                  X