This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's growing on my tree?

I'm trying to figure out what this is. They have a white powdery coating over them, and kind of meaty inside. I've taken a sample to a couple of places and they have no idea. They stay off the leaves, just on the wood parts. It's a magnolia tree about 20 years old.

Anybody seen anything like this before? Is it something to be worried about? How do I get rid of it?

Thanks
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plant-Dis...e-question.htm

The OP in this link is located in Ohio, and the tree mentioned is rather young, but it may be a start. The only thing I thought of when I look at the picture is fungus, though.
    Sucky Customers- Have the ability to convert non-drinkers into raging alcoholics in one phone call or less.

Comment

I have no idea. But, you can ask an agricultural extension agent in your area, or Google Master Gardners for your area.
      Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Has the tree been dripping sap on anything under it?, it's either a form of scale or aphids.
        They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

It does look like aphids. Try spraying it with water mixed with dish soap, or a store-bought killer blend.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I tried the soap thing last year and it didn't help. I caught it early enough last year to be able to manually remove them all. This year a) the whole tree is infested, I can't possibly get them all by hand and b) hornets have just picked this tree as their favorite hang out, I've got to deal with them first.

Are aphids bad?
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Found this that says it's magnolia scale. An insect.

They also give some advice on how to fix it.
              Make a list of important things to do today.
              At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
              Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

A little OT but Guniea hens will take care of the hornets.

And wasps.
                And fleas.
                And ticks...

Just check with local ordinances, some places consider them wild birds, others consider them decorative. Do research before you buy them, too.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                  Found this that says it's magnolia scale. An insect.

They also give some advice on how to fix it.
                  Okay, definately magnolia scale. Now the fun part of fixing it

Thanks for the info.
                  D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

Yep. Magnolia scale. Insect pest. Google it.

Comment

'Tis better to have something growing on your tree than your bush.
                      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Strangely enough, our City newspaper just reported on this yesterday evening. Crazy, Mad, Coincidence, non?

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/outdoor...to-s-magnolias

Hope you can get rid of it. Looks icky!
                        No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Working...
                        X