This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally(?) interacting with customers

Like I've been saying since I've joined, working backstage in a theatre doesn't give one many chances to see any of the epic idiocy exemplified in most threads here. However, I'm afraid that might change in the near future. This is because I've accepted a position that puts me right in the line of fire of customers. In an attempt to endear myself to one of my local theatres (and hopefully get hired as an assistant director for Beyond Therapy, their first show of the 2010-2011 season), I've agreed to man the concession stand for each and every performance for their current play. That means that every Friday and Saturday from now until the end of the month, as well as the 18th and the 1st, I will be doubtlessly bombarded with customers. Saturdays are going to be particularly gruesome: since my jobs thus far have been evening ones, I've gotten into the habit of going to bed somewhere between 3 and 5 AM and getting up around noon. Doesn't cut it very well now since I just started a second stage combat class (focusing on firearms, fun!) that meets Saturdays from 9 until noon. So not much sleep will be had between the Friday showing and the Saturday one for the remainder of the run.

One good thing is that the customers haven't really been all that bad. The "worst" ones are when people will come up to me and ask, "So is this where refreshments are sold?" or "Do you take credit cards/check/firstborns?" Of course, it has only been two showings, so I'm bracing myself for anything.

Still, I'm very much looking forward to getting back to working backstage, away from customers.

Meh, as a tech director and stage manager myself, Actors are a thousand times worse than most SC's.
    True, Sc's don't fear you like they fear a stage manager.
    They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

Quoth pssorens View Post
      True, Sc's don't fear you like they fear a stage manager.

The golden rule of the theatre: Never piss off the stage manager.

What kind of tech work have you been doing, Thanos? A lot of people I know got their foot in the door for AD-ing by stage managing. What kind of theatre is it? (community, small professional, LORT, etc.)
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
        The golden rule of the theatre: Never piss off the stage manager.

What kind of tech work have you been doing, Thanos? A lot of people I know got their foot in the door for AD-ing by stage managing. What kind of theatre is it? (community, small professional, LORT, etc.)
        I've been doing a little of everything, mostly at community theatres.. Earlier this month I doubled as both stage manager and light/sound board, then I moved on to stagehand and stage construction. And now here I am hoping to become AD. Funny thing is that I've really only started advertising my talents since the beginning of the year. Feels like I'm moving up really really fast, even though it's still community theatre.

Comment

Working...
        X