This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer seeking critique!

I know there's a few members on here that work in publishing/editing, as well as many people who write, either professionally or for their own enjoyment. I'm working on my first novel. It started out as a stupid online story idea that I was gonna LiveJournal or DreamWidth but quickly morphed into a serious novel idea that I didn't feel comfortable putting on a public site that anyone could read.

I've got an email list of friends that have been reading the chapters I've been sending out. Unfortunately, most are just reading for the story. Which is good, I guess, as they're enjoying it, but they're not keeping a critical eye open. Most don't give any feedback at all unless I bring it up, and then they're all, "It's good." The few people that are critical and do give useful feedback like "this part doesn't work for me" haven't said anything in a long time. And I know I can't be THAT good on my first draft!

So I'm looking for people that can read and provide genuine constructive criticism and suggestions, and will point out flaws in my writing and flow as well as strengths. If you simply want to read out of interest for the story, that's fine too, but I would still like to hear feedback of some sort.

So there's no surprises if you're offended by the content, I'll just say here that it's an angsty gay dramatic romance with a couple of interesting twists along the way, and some dark, potentially disturbing moments. Lots of language and an indeterminate amount of M/M smut (I'm only just now getting close to writing that part!).

Any takers?

I will send you a PM with my e-mail. I like to do line edits along with the big stuff so if you feel comfortable sending a Word or rtf document that would be great.

No worries...the main character of my first novel is a gay guy, and one of my dear friends writes (and shares) erotica.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I'll send you a PM too with mine as well. And if it's something I'm uncomfortable with I'll just skip those parts, kay?
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

PM-ing you my email.

I prefer to print out the doc and hand-write the edits and then I can either scan and email back to you or send it to you via traditional post. Just let me know which return method you prefer and provide the neccessary details when you send me the doc for editing.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Oh, wow, so many responses both here and in PMs! My current version is up to chapter 8, so I'll send that out to those that have responded so far and any others that speak up...probably within the next few days when I have time to get organized.

I'm hoping you guys will look at not only structure, grammar, word choice, etc, but also please let me know if the characters don't seem believable or act out of how you perceive their character. Husband and I were butting heads over breakfast about the way my main character is acting in these early chapters...he said some things didn't make any sense, and I kept trying to explain how the character acts in my head and how it actually DID make sense. So now I'm all paranoid...and now strangers are gonna read it! XD

Comment

We're not strangers! Just...friends you haven't really met yet ^__^
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I'm getting my email list ready and about to send out what I've written so far for mocking or praising. XD

Of course, as a thank-you to anyone helping, I'm glad to return the favor. Send me your stuff and I'll be a beta-reader in return!

Comment

Working...
              X