This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a thing for left overs.
    Alot of food is good cold the next day in some form.

Left over steak or roast? Cut it up add some spinage and left over veggies and maybe a little rice or not and get some cut up pita you have a nice steak salad.

Pasta is always good the next day

Oh get some portobello much room caps, clean them dry them, rub some olive oil and salt on pepper on it put some sliced cherry tomatoes, some bell pepper slices and some ham and cover it in cheese, bake for about 15 minutes and oyu have a lunch box stable pizza.

Comment

You could go the other way and bring hot food if you want. I have an insulated container that is plastic, so it can be microwaved. Put the food in the morning of, microwave and put the lid on. Keeps food warm about 4 hours or so. I know it's hot weather right now, and you may not want hot food, but I'm tinking ahead to fall. I sympathize with the no microwave, no refrigerator situation; I endured that for 5 years.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I used to go camping. Most of the time I didn't feel like messing with fire or the tempermental camp stove.
        I'd take boiled eggs; beef (or other kinds of meat) jerkey; dehydrated, fresh, or canned fruit; vegetables like carrots and celery; hoop cheese; bread; sweet stuff; and nuts.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
          Oh get some portobello much room caps, clean them dry them, rub some olive oil and salt on pepper on it put some sliced cherry tomatoes, some bell pepper slices and some ham and cover it in cheese, bake for about 15 minutes and oyu have a lunch box stable pizza.
          Yum! I really like this idea!
          Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

oh I just remembered that way back in one of the kitchen cupboards we used to have one of those food thermos flasks which are supposed to keep food hot.I will see if we still have it, and if so, if it actually works.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              You can make a hummus dip with a small can of chickpeas and a fork right there in the breakroom - open the chickpea can, drain off excess moisture, squirt in a little bit of lemon juice if you want, and then mush up the chickpeas. Eat with your veggies. Or make it at home, and add more flavourings.
              Interesting, I had no idea how to make hummus, i might try to make it as a kind of "dressing" for a pasta salad, experiment, see what happens!

Anyone else know how to make any dressings?

how do you make the dressing for potato salad?

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
                Interesting, I had no idea how to make hummus, i might try to make it as a kind of "dressing" for a pasta salad, experiment, see what happens!

Anyone else know how to make any dressings?

how do you make the dressing for potato salad?
                My "universal recipe" for dressing is:

- a cup of sour cream or Fromage Frais (the latter is a sort of low-fat sour cream since it's based on skimmed milk)

- a tablespoon of mayonnaise

- a tablespoon of lemon

- a teaspoon of olive oil (optional)

- seasoning by choice (garlic, mustard, curry, green pesto, fresh herbs, etc - anything goes)

That's the "base" for the dressing. If I skip the mayo it also makes a great dip for potato chips.

Re: potato salad, I'd add chopped red onions, chopped onion grass, sliced radishes and maybe some dill. But that's my preference.
                A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                  I make crock pot recipes all the time. I just throw it together, put it on high/low and leave for work. When I get back I have dinner/lunch for at least 3-4 days. I'll usually make 2-3 crock pots of food to last a week, week and a half so I don't really have to cook unless I want something special.

I'm considering a crock pot thread for recipes (and delicious photos) but I don't know if anyone wants to see it/uses a crock pot to contribute.
                  Me me me me me me I use a crockpot and would love recipies
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                    Me me me me me me I use a crockpot and would love recipies
                    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=66335
                    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I think my veggie burrito stuff would make a good easy non heated lunch, can use as a dip for other veggies or wrap it up in a tortilla or some other sort of flatbread.

To make it, drain and rinse a can of chick peas (aka garbonzo beans) and dump em into a food processor, and work them into a paste. Add steamed veggies (I usually use carrots and broccoli, about a cup of each. Steam them to make them easier to process) and keep processing til the mix is fairly smooth. You can add a couple of tablespoons of tahini (sesame butter) or olive oil to help keep it from getting too thick. Once you have the heavier veggies mostly processed, add in whatever garlic, onion, and or pepper you want as well as other seasonings and/or softer veggies. Sun dried tomatoes spring to mind. You can make it as spicy or as mild as you like. This stuff actually tastes better after sitting in your fridge for a day or two, as the flavors meld.

For a slightly different flavor, shape a patty of the veggie mix and fry it with a bit of olive oil til both sides are lightly browned, and use that as the base for a sandwich or burrito.
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                        Chicken salad with the grapes and walnuts ( I use almonds).
                        I've been looking for a good chicken salad recipie for ages. Mind sharing yours? Please? *puppydogeyes*
                        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I just bought a cute Chococat bento box, so I have started taking in a lunch of cheese, veggies, and fruit. Then, I needed retail therapy, so I bought a Chococat thermos.....right now it is just carrying a snack of pretzels and peanuts.....but soon shall be used for salads

(also have a "Light My Fire" Meal Kit...it's a bit on the bigger side, but I am a sucker for meal kits/bento boxes.....incentive to actually bring in a lunch)
                          "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                          X