Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspired by this thread, I took out the crock pot with awesome results.

Last night I took out 3 pork chops and put them in the cooker. I added a bag of carrots and peas. Then I put in a bunch of tobasco, apple cider vinegar, water, fresh ground pepper, and other spices. I cooked it on low overnight. Before work I turned it up to high.

When I came home I had the most awesome pork chops. They fell apart and were so tender and delicious. I have one left, and it will be lunch tomorrow.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I'm making crock-pot chicken and dumplings for dinner for my in-laws tonight.

1 package boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use a large one, around 2lbs)
      2 cans cream soup (of chicken, celery, mushroom, etc)
      1-2 cans of water (fill up the cans of cream soup with water, may need more or less depending on how much chicken you have and how soupy you like it)
      Spices to taste (I use salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, garlic and onion powder, paprika, and some kind of mixed herbs like boquet garni or herbs de provence)
      Veggies of choice, if you like
      1-2 cans refrigerated biscuit dough, or homemade biscuit dough

Place everything except the biscuit dough and any frozen veggies you are using in a crock pot. Cook until chicken is shreddable (usually about 3-4 hours on high in my crockpot, or a few hours more on low.) Shred chicken. About an hour before you want to eat, crank the heat up to high (if it's not already), add any frozen veggies you're using, and plop the biscuit dough down into the top of the liquid. Cook until toothpick inserted into biscuits comes out clean.

Comment

Ok..This recipe is from Alton Brown of food network fame.. He does it in one of episodes of "Good Eats".. I've made it a few times myself, and it's turned out REALLY good...

Prep Time:
        20 min
        Inactive Prep Time:
        8 hr 0 min
        Cook Time:
        6 hr 20 min

Level:
        Easy

Serves:
        4 servings

Ingredients

* 2 cups vegetable broth
        * 1/2 cup kosher salt
        * 1/2 cup light brown sugar
        * 2 tablespoons black peppercorns, slightly crushed
        * 1 pound ice
        * 4 (1 to 1 1/2-inch thick) bone-in pork chops
        * 2 teaspoons kosher salt
        * 3 ounces dried apple slices
        * 2 tablespoons olive oil
        * 1 large onion, julienned
        * 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
        * 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
        * 1 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions

Combine the vegetable broth, 1/2 cup kosher salt, brown sugar and peppercorns in a medium saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Cook just until the salt and sugar dissolve, then remove from the heat and add the ice. Place the pork chops into a 2-gallon zip-top bag along with the mixture and seal. Place in a plastic container and refrigerate overnight.

Remove the chops from the brine, rinse, and pat dry. Season on both sides with the kosher salt and set aside

Place the apples in the slow cooker.

Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 12-inch stainless steel saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute the pork chops on both sides until golden brown, approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side. Once browned, place the pork chops into the slow cooker atop the apples.

Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan followed by the onions and saute until they begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth to the pan to deglaze. Add the black pepper and thyme and stir to combine. Transfer this to the slow cooker, set to high, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Decrease the heat to low and continue cooking for another 4 hours and 30 minutes or until the pork is tender and falling away from the bone.
        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
          Crockpots can be left outside the kitchen to cook. I do NOT have enough space in my kitchen for it, it gets put on a table in the living room. (My mom was informed by her brother that this technique can also be used for bread machines.)
          I've been known to put mine out on the porch on hot days, so as not to heat up the apartment.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
            Kielbasa and Sauerkraut

About 1 lb kielbasa - cut into thick slices, alternatively into four chunks
            2 apples - cut into wedges (16ths work well)
            1 jar sauerkraut
            1 tbsp caraway seeds

put about half the sauerkraut in the bottom of the slow cooker. Arrange the apples in a layer, cover with kielbasa. Sprinkle about half the seeds on top. Cover with the rest of the sauerkraut and the rest of the seeds. (Or just mix everything together, I don't care ). Cook on low all day, serves four. (Great with fresh, crusty, yeasty bread).
            Do you drain the sauerkraut or dump the juices into the pot as well? I know some recipes have you drain and/or rinse the kraut first (this lessens the tartness of the kraut).

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
              Do you drain the sauerkraut or dump the juices into the pot as well? I know some recipes have you drain and/or rinse the kraut first (this lessens the tartness of the kraut).

Eric the Grey
              I'm honestly not sure. I got the recipe from my parents, and I just poke at it (it's not a very specific one). My Father-in-Law's sauerkraut is a very dry one, so we never drain it (if it's not dry you can't pack as much into one jar). I'd say that go by how much you like the sharpness and the extra salt. Don't rinse it though.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                I'm honestly not sure. I got the recipe from my parents, and I just poke at it (it's not a very specific one). My Father-in-Law's sauerkraut is a very dry one, so we never drain it (if it's not dry you can't pack as much into one jar). I'd say that go by how much you like the sharpness and the extra salt. Don't rinse it though.
                I wouldn't rinse it. The only time I do that is if I'm putting it on pizza.

Eric the Grey
                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                  I wouldn't rinse it. The only time I do that is if I'm putting it on pizza.

Eric the Grey
                  I love sauerkraut. I might have to go pick up some today.

NON-CROCK POT RECIPE. EAT IF BRAVE. REPLACE WITH REAL INGREDIENTS IF AVAILABLE.

1. put water in pot
                  2. put enough dried milk so water looks like milk
                  3. boil
                  4. put enough dried potatoes to make potato-like consistancy.
                  5. Pour in desired amount of hot sauce.
                  6. Mince pepporcini's and add to mix.
                  7. Add some cayenne if you're like me and hate yourself.
                  8. Also add some other random seasonings.
                  8a. Add some cheese, chipotle jack in my case.
                  9. Consume seven glasses of wine.
                  10. Eat. Delicious.

You are welcome.
                  Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Working...
                  X