X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite recipe for my crock pot (it's a hit with the gaming group) is:

Creole Black beans with Sausage
    • 1 1/2 lbs Smoked Sausage (sliced)
    • 3 15oz cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
    • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    • 1 1/2 cups green bell pepper, chopped
    • 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
    • 3 tsp minced garlic (I cheat and use the pre-diced garlic)
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    • 1 cup chicken broth
    • cooked rice

Brown the meat before placing in the crock pot, dump everything except the rice in there and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 5 hours. Serve over the cooked rice.

I'm tempted to whip up a batch for our next gaming night, since it's my turn to cook...

Edit: Of course soups are very easy to cook this way. Throw in what you want, with enough water and/or broth (vegetable, chicken or beef) season and cook.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      Someday I will have a kitchen with enough counter space to have a crockpot. And to cook stuff, with or without a crockpot.
      Same here.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
        Same here.
        You have a floor, table, bathroom counter, bedroom night table, etc. Hell, get a generator and put it outside I'll cook anywhere, I don't even care. I updated the OP with a finale picture. The chili is good, the chicken falls apart in your mouth but its missing something. Tomatoes, I think. I can't quite place it.
        Last edited by Whiskey; 07-18-2010, 11:51 PM.
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
          Crockpots can be left outside the kitchen to cook. I do NOT have enough space in my kitchen for it, it gets put on a table in the living room. (My mom was informed by her brother that this technique can also be used for bread machines.)
          OOOhhhh do I not only use my crockpot all the time I use a bread machine constantly. I have two books full of bread machine recipies and some yummy sour dough starter I've been maintaining for about 2 or 3 months now.

As for the crockpot I have no recipies per se I just make shit up. I will put in a roast of some kind, carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, and whatever spices and sauces sound good. I usually end up using leftover salad dressing or maybe bbq sauce or whatever is on hand.

I make meatloaf in mine too and that is completely made up.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I usually use recipes for my crockpot stuff, but that's because I'm anal about grocery shopping and I plan out the ingredients needed for the week's recipes in order to make my list.

My favorite recipe:
            -3 pound ish chunk of pork loin. Ideally defrosted and cut into cubes but it's ok to throw the whole thing in frozen if you woke up late and are going to be late to work
            -a few shakes of salt
            -2 cans diced green chilies
            -3 cloves crushed garlic
            -1/4 cup chipotle sauce
            -1/2 cup water

If you can't find chipotle sauce, even though you live in Texas, put some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the blender. Use a few tablespoons of the puree and increase the water by a few tablespoons. If your blender got lost in the last move, just chop up some chipotle peppers and throw in some of the adobo sauce.

Put the meat in the crockpot. Put everything else on top of it. Cook on low for the whole work day if unfrozen and on high if it is frozen.
            When it's done, shred the pork and let it sit in the juice for at least 15 minutes.

Really good over Cilantro-Lime Rice (put some cilantro and lime juice in the pot when you are making rice) or in tortillas.

This will be pretty mild if you use chipotle sauce but on the spicier side if you use actual chipotle peppers.

Comment

Here is a kraut and Pork for the crock pot.

3# picnic pork ribbs (with or with-out bone)
              4 potatos
              4 carrots
              one bottle sauerkraut
              tb of anise seed

brown pork in a hot pan with alittle oil
              peel and chunk up veges
              put pork and veges in crock pot
              sprinkle seeds on top
              dump kraut over all(juice also)
              cook on low 8 hrs.

this is for the large 6 qrt pot

As for no room, place it on any hard surface. (diningroom floor, deck, bathroom floor, ect) The only thing you have to think about is that the pots like to burp a lot, so you need an area that you can clean up.
              Last edited by pitmonkey; 07-20-2010, 08:41 AM. Reason: info
              "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Kielbasa and Sauerkraut

About 1 lb kielbasa - cut into thick slices, alternatively into four chunks
                2 apples - cut into wedges (16ths work well)
                1 jar sauerkraut
                1 tbsp caraway seeds

put about half the sauerkraut in the bottom of the slow cooker. Arrange the apples in a layer, cover with kielbasa. Sprinkle about half the seeds on top. Cover with the rest of the sauerkraut and the rest of the seeds. (Or just mix everything together, I don't care ). Cook on low all day, serves four. (Great with fresh, crusty, yeasty bread).

I will post my pinto beans recipe later, and if my groundnut stew today turns out I'll include it. (Basically: make ground nut stew. Use slow cooker instead of pot on the stove).

Comment

Quoth pitmonkey View Post
                  Here is a kraut and Pork for the crock pot.

3# picnic pork ribbs (with or with-out bone)
                  4 potatos
                  4 carrots
                  one bottle sauerkraut
                  tb of anise seed

brown pork in a hot pan with alittle oil
                  peel and chunk up veges
                  put pork and veges in crock pot
                  sprinkle seeds on top
                  dump kraut over all(juice also)
                  cook on low 8 hrs.

this is for the large 6 qrt pot

As for no room, place it on any hard surface. (diningroom floor, deck, bathroom floor, ect) The only thing you have to think about is that the pots like to burp a lot, so you need an area that you can clean up.
                  mine doesnt burp, but its new. Whats the.. set up for this? Do you put it on a plate and it with a fork? pork-hot dogs? what? I love kraut. I need a reason to kraut the hell out of something.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                    This is essentially what I use my crockpot for. Just throw some shit in it and pray for the best.
                    Pretty much what I do too. Pork chops and a can of cream soup (I'm partial to celery or asparagus), cooked on low for several hours.. top with cheese..

OT -- Whiskey... you crack me up. Just sayin'... I swear I hear my friend's voice saying the things you write, 'cause that's exactly how she talks and the funny stuff she says. *narrows eyes at Whiskey*... you're not her, are you?
                    Make a list of important things to do today.
                    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I made spinach and artichoke dip chicken last night. It wasn't quite as thick as normal dip, but delicious over some egg noodles. I increased the spinach and artichoke amounts. Mmmmmm.

Comment

The only thing you have to think about is that the pots like to burp a lot, so you need an area that you can clean up.
                        I'm lucky mine has a little hole to release some steam and clamps to hold the lid down.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                          I'm lucky mine has a little hole to release some steam and clamps to hold the lid down.
                          Isn't that a pressure cooker?

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                          *narrows eyes at Whiskey*... you're not her, are you?
                          The only friend I have is chilling in my freezer

Comment

Whisey,

When the pot gets up to temp, the steam release is the burp.

Just put on a plate and enjoy.
                            "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Whisey,

When the pot gets up to temp, the steam release is the burp.

Just put on a plate and enjoy.
                              I have never seen a crock pot with a "steam release." Google images isn't pulling up anything either. The only steam release cooking utensil is a pressure cooker which isn't a crock pot.

Comment

Crockpot salsa chicken.

1 lb chicken breasts (works really well with frozen!)
                                1 jar salsa (16 oz)
                                1 can cream of mushroom soup

Dump chicken in crockpot. Top with soup and salsa. set on Low for about 6-8 hours, then shred chicken and mix it all together. Makes a great filling on tortillas, over rice, etc. Nummy!

I made a version of spinach artichoke dip in the crockpot, too!! Did it for a game night with Evil Queen, DataJager, and SG15Z. DataJager said it tasted better than what you got in restaurants. Now if I can just remember how I made the blasted stuff!!! >.>

I have to go cull through my recipes. I make a killer crockpot marinara with meatballs. I think I actually jotted down notes on that one, just have to find them.

Comment

Working...
                                X